Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

Decided to share a project with you about installing door speakers to C900.
It's work in progress at the moment, but there are some results.

The first and the most obvious problem is making the pane that covers the speaker. I've seen some crued solutions and some that lose the pocket, so I decided to try my own version.
The door panel is from a donor car and the speker panel will be fitter to a Buffalo Grey interior. So the fabrick used suits well.

Next step will be making the tweeter pods.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
That looks really professional. What did you do? Is that polystyrene insulation with a fiberglass cloth coating?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I did this to my SPG year ago.... Much better sound vs the top of the door and also just using the stock 4in locations

I had the best results with 6.5's in a enclosure in the kick panel area, where the ecu sits
The best tweeter location I found was under the dash..... Much better imaging vs on the dash

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks really professional. What did you do? Is that polystyrene insulation with a fiberglass cloth coating?
I used 20mm Styrofoam insulating sheet and cut and sanded it to desired shape. And yes, then covered it with fiberglass (both sides) so it would survive a light kick.
The speaker itself will be attached to the door in a way that it sits close and aligned with the mesh cover.

gm, where and how exactly did you place the tweeters?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
How did you keep the resin from melting the polystyrene? Or were you able to find a urethane insulation?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How did you keep the resin from melting the polystyrene? Or were you able to find a urethane insulation?
I used epoxy resin. This does not melt polystyrene, is tougher, sticks better and is very reliable (does not shrink, warp, absorb water...)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Not sure where you live.... But being in the states when I did door speakers I put the tweeter that's on the passenger side on the little nook above the ecu. I was able to position and fasten the tweeter there with the tweeter being aimed between the front seats. The drivers side I simply screwed a "L" bracket under the dash with the tweeter being attached to that. It also was aimed between the seats and had excellent imaging that way.

When I redid the stereo and did a kick panel buildout, the tweeters were mounted inside the enclosure aiming the same way. Had to move the ecu and also the hood release to get it to work.

I Unfortunately sold my c900's and cannot find any old pics :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here it's installed. Just the handle area is to be covered with the same fabric to match

1 - 10 of 10 Posts