Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, while coming back from an assignment this morning, I was stuck in eastbound traffic on I-90 in Cleveland when I spied a four-door, green c900 being hauled off on a flatbed in the other direction.

And, being as how I had some time in the car, I got to thinking, we're probably hitting a steep decline in the average (read, not special edition) c900 population if we aren't there already.

Meaning?

Well, some people who have been patiently nursing them through ills the last decade or two are finally giving up when new replacement parts aren't readily available and others are dying from rust, neglect, insurance companies who total them out for small incidents.

Thoughts, anyone?

·
Registered
551 Posts
mmm Noodling.

c900 till the end.

I have noticed more and more c900 and 9000s showing up in the junkyards. Its the cycle... Bad for some, good for others. The cycle is not infinite though. =(

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
I think the 9000s are disappearing faster than the c900s - I see a lot more of them in the junkyards usually, and my uncle says he sees them less and less at his shop (and I doubt that means they're getting more reliable).

·
7,595 Posts
The low model C-900's are going away faster than any others IMO. Whens the last time you saw a rose quarts 1986 900 4 door 8 valve? Probably one of saabs most common C-900's, and I have not seen one for years in operational condition. Now, was a car like that worth saving? Well.... probably not. Unless it was in MINT condition. It's a shame, but I think there are a lot of people that SHOULD have kept them but gave up on them for one reason or another, usually a fairly minor problem, that may have occurred right after another fairly minor problem...

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The low model C-900's are going away faster than any others IMO.
Word. Finding a base c900 (even the "s" ones were few and far inbetween) late last year was nearly impossible. Kept tripping over all of those damn SPGs and turbos and whatnot.

So, all Saabnet pricing aside, how many years before the average c900 is considered a collectible?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Word.

So, all Saabnet pricing aside, how many years before the average c900 is considered a collectible?
Word, Ive got a few "Practical Classics" magazines from the uk. And they consider the c900 a modern classic. So I guess you could call that.

All I know is that Ive never seen another pre face lift SPG driving in Atlanta... Makes me feel good about driving mine everyday.
:cool:

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All I know is that Ive never seen another pre face lift SPG driving in Atlanta... Makes me feel good about driving mine everyday.
:cool:
I haven't seen a pre-facelift here in Cleveland, yet. Although I guess I take some comfort in the days that I drive the c900s, I don't really look like anything else on the road. So that's kind of cool.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
The low model C-900's are going away faster than any others IMO. Whens the last time you saw a rose quarts 1986 900 4 door 8 valve? Probably one of saabs most common C-900's, and I have not seen one for years in operational condition. Now, was a car like that worth saving? Well.... probably not. Unless it was in MINT condition. It's a shame, but I think there are a lot of people that SHOULD have kept them but gave up on them for one reason or another, usually a fairly minor problem, that may have occurred right after another fairly minor problem...
If that car was an automatic... its probably close to extinct..

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
c900s are dropping like flies,, i m even seeing less in the boneyards compared to 3 years ago,, a 9000 is now the cheap used car,, and a 900 is slowly venturing into collectors status

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
I drove up north near Lowell yesterday....I saw at least 5 c900, and even a 99!

But i agree, over all they seem to be disappearing.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The real question should be...

How long will we have parts?
That's kind of what I'm wondering as well because, and math stands to reason, there will come a time when most of the junkable c900s will have been junked.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Connecticut was odd that way — the sightings would go in waves. The week before I rolled out for Cleveland, I saw about seven distinct c900s that I hadn't seen before. Other weeks? Nuttin.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I NEVER see another c900 where I live. Most of what I see are in my driveway. A few other Saabers in town have some, but that is it.

It makes me sad. C900s are my most favorite car ever and probably will be for the rest of my life. I do, have a dream, of obtaining a nice turbo 3door, in good condition, to hold onto forever. I hope that in the next few years I am able to fulfill that.

·
7,595 Posts
you can't save em all... but there is no reason ANY C-900 with low or no rust should ever be junked, but I see it all the time. There were 3! 1991+ C-900 verts in the harrus U pull it yesterday, NONE had structural rust or crash damage, all 3 seemed to be there either because they needed a top, or had a broken automatic trans. Any one of those cars would have made someone a fantastic weekend project car that if obtained for a sub $500 price would have actually appreciated significantly in value with a little work... never the less, they were in the junk yard...

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There were 3! 1991+ C-900 verts in the harrus U pull it yesterday, NONE had structural rust or crash damage, all 3 seemed to be there either because they needed a top, or had a broken automatic trans.
'Verts are tough, though. A lot of people get queasy when they see the cost of a new top or the mechanicals to fix a busticated top. Again, not a decent reason to send one to its death, but it happens.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts