Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought some of you guys would like to see what went wrong with my transmission. were here it is, the main failure point. this trans was a recently rebuilt unit, good working condition before the failure. I guess 20 PSI boost was just too much for casting...

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,028 Posts
Ewww! That's nasty. Ben Wells in Tasmania (the guy behind Snaab) has chatted with me in email about transmissions and mentioned a lot of useful info about how the standard manual transmissions are not up to standard with performance-enhanced turbo Saab 900's.

His recommendation is to fit a post-1991 manual transmission if I want a stock one to replace the auto transmission my car has at the moment, but my cars are all equipped with 8V engines so I don't know if the 8V and 16 V C900 engines can both mount on exactly the same transmissions without any problems. Does anyone know if they're all inter-changable regardless of which model of engine is bolted to the top of the transmission?

Ben is apparently looking at getting one of the rebuilt Saab 4-speed transmissions from a Saab 99 which are produced by someone in Europe, but there's a big waiting list supposedly! Given that the transmissions are the main bugbear with C900's, I'm not surprised there is so much interest. I got in touch with the guys at Three Trolls and they confirmed that the wait-time for rebuild manual transmissions out of Europe is very long!

Craig.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
c900 said:
His recommendation is to fit a post-1991 manual transmission if I want a stock one to replace the auto transmission my car has at the moment, but my cars are all equipped with 8V engines so I don't know if the 8V and 16 V C900 engines can both mount on exactly the same transmissions without any problems. Does anyone know if they're all inter-changable regardless of which model of engine is bolted to the top of the transmission?
the 91+ transmissions are the strongest ones that were made, actually the 89-90 units arent too bad either since the main failure point- the pinion bearing is larger and therefore stronger, its just that the 91+ ones also have thicker gears apparently.

as for the transmissions bolting up, yes all 900 trannys and most later 99 trannys (including the 4 speeds from the 99 turbos wich are the strong ones) will bolt right up to both the 8v's and the 16v's, turbo or not. i belive that there is a small issue with the older cars (up to 84 i think?) with the inner CV joints being a different size (bigger on the newer cars) but that can be fixed by simply swapping in the axles from a later car.

Paul

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep, the trans to use is an 89-93 C-900 manual trans. they have the larger pinion bearing and a slightly larger gearset on the 91-93. This one that blew up was from an 87 I think... the main reason for failure was not high output, but the fact that 1/2 the roller bearings had failed...

all the other comments I see Paul answered, as usual he has it right. the only thing I should mention is the guy who builds the 4 speeds (erricson I think) charges quite frankly an insane amount of money, and takes forever to build a trans. IMHO, it's worth saving yourself $5000 and buying an entire 1978 saab 99 turbo / 4 spd. that's about the best trans saab ever used. 91-93 5 spds are not bad, but the shifter forks and the synchros are just as bad as any saab trans, and in-fact, the 91-93 has some of the worst forks yet! reason being that they had to make them thinner to accomidate the larger gearset. I have a trans from a 94 vert in mine, synchors are gone, and it blows out of gears. Everything else works fine though…

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
owch man

i need a 5speed bad now i wana do the swap for my auto so if any one knows where i can get one free / cheap im on a budget im only 17

·
Registered
299 Posts
the main reason to go to a 4speed is the stronger case so if you are cracking the case then go to 4speed but if you are stripping gears then get 90+

·
Registered
876 Posts
For the fun aspect of it, I'd pick the 4 speed. That thing is a blast. But I hardly ever drive on highways. Nothing better than this short run I have from edgehill rd. turning onto terwood rd., here in PA, with a 4 speed. It has a tight right down a short steep hill, straight stretch of rolling hills for speed, then a good jump right into another turn, then it's a few more good turns till it ends. Short but fun to do over and over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts