Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a new SAAB 9-5 ARC with premium package... Any drawbacks/issues (particularly few years after purchase) I should be aware of before I pull the trigger?

Appreciate any feedback (positive and/or negative) you're willing to share. Thanks.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
screw that! get a viggen if your willing to spend that much :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
A Viggen is one of the best Saab ever made! only 400 or so made for the US, a limited production model. Too bad they don't make them any more though, the closest to a Viggen now is an Aero. I posted up a pic!

1999 Saab 9-5 SE
http://members.cardomain.com/jedi_master58

·
Registered
475 Posts
The viggen is a great car but not nearly as civilized or balanced as the 9-5 especially the Aero (sure I'm biased so what!?). Stick with a 9-5 but go with the Aero and 5 speed manual trans and touring package. Rain sensing wipers and xenon's are very nice features unavailable in a Viggen. Viggen's are the way to go if you have lots of money for suspension mods...once some things are adressed, they are better performers than the Aero. But stock vs. stock the Aero is the better handling car. Power is just about equal with the new Aero's having more power to compensate for the slight weight disadvantage.

·
Registered
432 Posts
jedi_master58 said:
A Viggen is one of the best Saab ever made! only 400 or so made for the US, a limited production model. Too bad they don't make them any more though, the closest to a Viggen now is an Aero. I posted up a pic!

1999 Saab 9-5 SE
http://members.cardomain.com/jedi_master58
too bad it isnt 1/2 as nice or power ful as the viggen.. the problem with the viggen was its power issues and the fact it had such bad torque steer. .when i turn the T/C off on mine its all over the road..... but i do love them.. i would rather have an 04 9-5 Aero.. but thats just me..

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Only 400 were imported in 99 Blue only!!!!!! There plenty of Viggens to be found. Not as rare as it sounds. Blue is rare so is Yellow. 3 doors are my fav but if you need 5 doors you can find them too. I almost bought a 00 Black 3 door this summer but it was too much money for me so here I sit 88 SPG and 93 9000....Once you have one saab you'll always have one!!!!!

·
Administrator
668 Posts
people always say viggens are sooo bad... ive got a 99 and it has no T/C and its all about how good of a driver you are... just hold on... I dont get much toque steer at all.

·
10,303 Posts
Slahmar, These guys are just being performance nuts. We are glad you chose Saab. And a good one at that. The Viggen isn't available NEW anymore. And I take it you are looking for exactly what you said. A new car.

The 9-5 carrys the most tried and true engine Saab has built, the Iron block 16 valve turbo. This engine in one way or another is about 20 years old. You won't have any problems with this car.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The 9-5 carrys the most tried and true engine Saab has built, the Iron block 16 valve turbo
That's true...."All saabs starting with 2003 models carry the Aluminum block 16 valve turbo"

EXCEPT for the 9-5 see post below

Tweek is right, we're glad you chose saab and you will be too....the new cars are quite nice and are a pretty robust car all around

edit post once

·
Registered
432 Posts
Boxerchip said:
people always say viggens are sooo bad... ive got a 99 and it has no T/C and its all about how good of a driver you are... just hold on... I dont get much toque steer at all.
what is done to it, cuz ive driven one with the worst torque steer ever..

·
10,303 Posts
saabvos said:
The 9-5 carrys the most tried and true engine Saab has built, the Iron block 16 valve turbo
That's false....it should be "All saabs starting with 2003 models carry the Aluminum block 16 valve turbo"

but nonetheless Tweek is right, we're glad you chose saab and you will be too....the new cars are quite nice and are a pretty robust car all around
http://www2.saabusa.com/95s/specs.asp

Iron block. :wink:

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
you lucky dog. I would love a new 9-5 Aero, with 250 Hp and 20 psi overboost function (get the stick!)

Plus it's a real mean looking car, especially in black.

I think that will be my next Saab, once I am a daddy and have kids and a dog and all that stuff someday-- :shock: :roll: :lol: it will be a black on black 9-5 Aero wagon with a Maptun or Nordic chip. :wink: I hope to still keep the 9-3 to make into my ultimate weekend racer, though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
352 Posts
i apologize tweek, i was wrong.....i was thinking of the 9-3ss, damn aluminum blocks, breaks easier than iron :evil: :evil:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts