Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a bunch of boxes from the post office today, more to come. These should keep me busy for a few weekends:

Center decor for hatch door, $30 on eBay. A quick install, but I still need to get a new badge for it.

Viggen i/c and lower radiator hose, need to get i/c pipes

Window mount antenna, have one installed on my Jeep, will need body plug to cover antenna hole before this is done.

Tire rod ends and screws

Control and stanchion arms bushings, still waiting for one more box with bushings from stanchion to control arm

For a later engine service: plugs and short belt

I also on the to-do list:
- de-stud my winter tires this week, take them to a tire shop and put new studs in them
- do one last good wash and wax before winter (less than a month away)
- do a good leather treatment inside the cabin
- double check that I do have an engine block heater installed (I have a engine oil pan warmer and a battery blanket already)
- design a good radiator and intercooler blocker for when it gets stupid cold (car never warms up without it)
- figure out a way to return some of the exterior plastic pieces to black color, versus gray. I have been using "Black Again", it works great on the bumpers, but not on the lower pieces). Last resort will me to re-paint them with matte black, which worked for my Jeep.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
- figure out a way to return some of the exterior plastic pieces to black color, versus gray. I have been using "Black Again", it works great on the bumpers, but not on the lower pieces). Last resort will me to re-paint them with matte black, which worked for my Jeep.
I used duplicolor trim paint. It is matte black, looks awesome. take time to prep and it will be great

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the Jeep I used matte black BBQ grill paint, it looked great with a few layers and still looks good after one year. For the plain, unpainted plastic pieces prepping should be not much more than cleaning it reall good with isopropyl alcohol, correct?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
On the Jeep I used matte black BBQ grill paint, it looked great with a few layers and still looks good after one year. For the plain, unpainted plastic pieces prepping should be not much more than cleaning it reall good with isopropyl alcohol, correct?
Yes you got it, clean it really good, especially the handles!

I failed to clean them extensively, and I got some oil swirls. Also make sure to take your time on taping off the edges, most of the time, the tape fits right under the trim.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
If you paint the trim pieces around the car, I highly recommend taking them off rather them leaving them on and taping around them. They can be removed in 2-3 minutes or less. All you need to do is use a flathead screwdriver (wrap a cloth around the blade) and pry up on the inidiviual trim pieces in a gentle manner. Start at an end and work your way down. As you do so, each piece should "pop" right off as you work your way, prying down the length of each. The only piece that can be tricky to get off is the piece behind the rear doors on the rear quarter panels (they can break easily).

Overall, excellent list of plans/work for your car. I need to do similar things on my 9-3 as it starts to get colder. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts