Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.

The roomie's 1986 c900 convertible is experiencing hard shifts. He says the shifter knob is jerked down and out of his hand when he starts from a stop at intersections so he suspects the front engine mount.

OK. No biggie.

We start pulling the car apart in that region tonight and it looks like underneath the u-shaped bracket, something is missing before you get to the hydraulic mount. The Bentley manual makes reference of a bump stop, which looks like (in their drawing) a li'l brick o' rubber between the bottom of the bracket and the top of the engine bracket.

If there is one there on this car, it ain't there now. Thoughts?

·
7,595 Posts
Ethans 86 900 was missing this too, no idea why. It should be there, this is the "max-out" portion of the engine mount, if this is broken or missing, there is nothing that would keep the engine in the engine bay should a front mount failure occur. Likely, the car would drive very oddly with this missing or broken if you had a bad front mount. I would be very careful driving it like that, cause there is nothing that would keep the distributor from smashing into the hood.

The component he would need we could probably get for near-free at almost any U-pull it junk yard. It's not exactly typical to see this part missing, however in the scope of doing other work in a disorganized work environment by an inexperienced individual I could see how this piece could easily be overlooked, misplaced and forgotten about.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The component he would need we could probably get for near-free at almost any U-pull it junk yard. It's not exactly typical to see this part missing, however in the scope of doing other work in a disorganized work environment by an inexperienced individual I could see how this piece could easily be overlooked, misplaced and forgotten about.
I don't know when that part of the car was last apart. And, apparently, this was a sudden failure, as in, the car was driving fine one day and then this suddenly occurred at one stop and then kept occurring. Is it possible for the part to completely bail out?

But, yeah, it's not there. Wasn't there when we took the mount apart last night. Could see evidence that it had been there at some point but had just...left?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts