Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm in the process of rebuilding my 1997 Aero's transmission. While I'm at it, I will also be installing a quaiffe LSD. I definitely don't want the transmission to break any time soon, since my car is at stage 5 at the moment but may be seeing a hx-35 sooner or later. Now, my problem is that I cannot be shipping my transmission out, since I'm actually in Puerto Rico. I would like to know what could I do (or get a shop to do) in order to make my trans. less likely to break at least, if not bulletproof, and any ideas on the prices?!? Any parts or gears from other models that I could use, or hardening treatment to the internals? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Maptun sells a 6 speed transmission, that is supposedly super tough. Check them out.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Try and get the full 'update' kit just so it's got the latest bits and bobs (no direct strengthening in this) and at least use the late crush sleeve (this can also be done with a solid sleeve if you have it machined). Nic has some wise words on the GS site too.

My box lasted for a good few years with 450ftlbs. In fact it used to spike up to 480ftlbs and took many many pulls whilst tuning.

Follow these rules and you can run 500bhp no problem at all
1) Never drag start
2) Never dump the clutch in any gear - think smooth
3) Never rush / slam a change
4) Let the engine spin for power - don't slog it in tall gears
5) Never wheelspin / tramp - Ultimate box killer

You can kill a box in 10mins with a TD04 and the wrong driver - In some ways I think the big turbos are more forgiving.

6 speed is only real solution but then, once you've done it once you can just drop the LSD into another box if you break it for pennies.

What final drive ratio are you fitting?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
they sell the parts to build one/have one built. Super expensive
About 2x resale value of my car to be exact... :X

where in pr?
At the moment living in Gurabo... but usually am around San Juan.

Try and get the full 'update' kit just so it's got the latest bits and bobs (no direct strengthening in this) and at least use the late crush sleeve (this can also be done with a solid sleeve if you have it machined). Nic has some wise words on the GS site too.

What final drive ratio are you fitting?
I will check out nick's site, but what do you mean exactly by full update kit? >>> NVM, I guess I should've read nicks info first :p

Ive read about going to 4.05 or 4:45. To be honest I'm still not sure what I would like to do about that, or if I should keep it the way it is...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
not in pr for years, and no saab there since about 2003 when i sold a black running-but-ugly 9000cse and white non-running 9000cse turbo to a guy from puerto nuevo.

my white/beige was only the second white cse on the island. the other one was in san juan iirc and was white/blue

·
Registered
474 Posts
Ratio choice:

3.61 - super long and standard on FPT cars (including Aero) 3k rpm = 90mph.

4.05 - Used on LPTs - not sure you even got these outside europe 3k rpm = 83mph

4.45 - Used on N/As - super short 3k rpm = 73mph

3.82 from a NG900 can also be used if you are messing about in the box.

So - with your holset - put your foot down at 70mph in 5th with the 3.61 and nothing will happen...
Also shortening the final drive effectively makes the ratios closer.

Downside is more noise and significantly more fuel used when cruising.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
if urs is a 97 it mustve come fom nissan dealer on kennedy?
Well... I had a green 1993 9000 cse for several years as my first car, bought it used. By 2003 there were not many 9000's here even worse, aeros in PR are pretty rare. :X But by 2004 me and my dad bought two silver aeros through ebay, his 1995 auto, mine 1997 manual, so I had to sell my green cse. I loved my cse, and the dude I sold it to somehow got it burned :(. But the aero seats are the best ever.

Ratio choice:
3.61 - super long and standard on FPT cars (including Aero) 3k rpm = 90mph.
4.05 - Used on LPTs - not sure you even got these outside europe 3k rpm = 83mph
4.45 - Used on N/As - super short 3k rpm = 73mph
3.82 from a NG900 can also be used if you are messing about in the box.

So - with your holset - put your foot down at 70mph in 5th with the 3.61 and nothing will happen...
Also shortening the final drive effectively makes the ratios closer.

Downside is more noise and significantly more fuel used when cruising.
I guess I need to find out some more info on how modifying ratios affect the car's speed.

From what i read... using shorter gears will substract from my to speed, but allow for better acceleration? Longer gears would do the opposite? :X I found this pretty nice gear calculator page:
http://www.teammfactory.com/gearcalculator.php

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
The basic place to start when dealing with gears is to look at the ground torque with different ratios calculated with the dyno torque curve. This will also help define shift points and RPM range.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The basic place to start when dealing with gears is to look at the ground torque with different ratios calculated with the dyno torque curve. This will also help define shift points and RPM range.
Cool... and thanks for the write up on your site, I assume you have an 'update kit' for my transmission ;) I need to get it opened first though, since it actually broke, in case I need any additional parts for it.

Would someone have the different gear ratios for the transmission around?

Where could I find/buy whatever final drive i decide in the end? junkyard maybe?

·
Registered
48 Posts
to my son

Hey son you forgot to mention the 1994 9000 aero 5 speed color red i bought a couple days ago for $450 with aprox. 75000 miles. Although it needs work to get it back on the road. Are you willing to help your dad getting it rolling?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Nick can you supply us with a list & pricing range for the parts we may need to reinforce two five speed trans. for the 9000 Aeros. T.I.A.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
This topic has been beaten like a dead horse. After all my research I went and had my transmission built over at Scanwest. I'm not aware of all the "updates" being done as I didn't build the transmission. I went with the LSD, shorter final drive (4.05), shot peen/cyro treated gears, and bracing welded in to strengthen the case. Kaylan had a 500whp car with a very similar transmission (she had the 3.61 FD) and the transmission was reliable. I'm running 300whp right now with absolutely no issues, and I'm not being nice to it.

Cost wise I sent a transmission over there, got the work done, and sent back to me for $4000.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This topic has been beaten like a dead horse. After all my research I went and had my transmission built over at Scanwest. I'm not aware of all the "updates" being done as I didn't build the transmission. I went with the LSD, shorter final drive (4.05), shot peen/cyro treated gears, and bracing welded in to strengthen the case. Kaylan had a 500whp car with a very similar transmission (she had the 3.61 FD) and the transmission was reliable. I'm running 300whp right now with absolutely no issues, and I'm not being nice to it.

Cost wise I sent a transmission over there, got the work done, and sent back to me for $4000.
Yeah, I know this topic has been discussed several times... but it has always been kind of a blur and secrecy about what can be done. Do you have any more details on the welded bracing to strengthen the case?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts