Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you have already custom build your headers for non Saab turbos...I am interested to hear how you feel about having custom turbos on your 2.3t engines and your impressions on the reliability of having these on yours cars...in addition after all the work you put into building up your engine to except the highly flowing turbos...do you feel it is worth it...what do you like best about the performance of your new engines? We often forget the bottom line/goal is to make our cars do a specific task...drive faster, etc...

·
10,303 Posts
I don't have a 9-5 or a custom header, but I love pissing off people who think thier car is "supposed" to be faster than a saab.

The best places are hills, and just as you leave toll boths.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does there have to be a question...just wondering if you guys feel it is worth it to build a custom header system for a turbo or to go with a direct fit option ?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
That's two different questions.

Your actual question seems to me to be: "Is there a turbo that will bolt on that will give me lots and lots of horsepowers on the wheels?"

Yes. There absolutely is.

You do not need to build a custom manifold and put an OMGWTFBBQ LOLSET (holset) HX-eleventy-huuuge-turbine turboblower onto your rig. You can make lots of power and keep your driveability with turbos that will bolt on.

If you want a 600whp drag machine that will propel your car right up the grade out of Denver and launch into the air....

.....then you might need a custom manifold.

Was that your question?

Drew

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting...I thought the Holset HX (think they used those for Dodge trucks) was a direct fit for the 9000 but not the 9-5...guess that makes no sense now that I think about it...

·
Registered
879 Posts
People often forget that the manifold on a turbo car is under pressure from resistance of the turbine wheel. You really don't need a big manifold to make big power. I've seen several people make 300whp with a stock manifold.

Also, tubular manifolds are great for flow, but they will crack. This is governed by laws of thermodynamics and can not really be avoided. Cast manifolds are what you want on a road car cause they'll likely never give you trouble.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Neither of the two my brother built for our cars have cracked.

Getting the weight of the turbo and downpipe supported back to the block like the stock setup is important for that, so they don't hang on the exhaust manifold.

Drew

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Can you guys send me in the right direction with the parts ???

Parts seem to be really cheap for the Holset HX (rebuild kit etc)

Which trucks do I search for at Car-parts.com ?

What about the Holset HX-82...LOL !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts