Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was installing my new roof rack last night, and after finishing, I step back to admire the new piece of hardware. My smile turned sour as I found i had a severely cracked foglight lens with a chunk missing!

So, two questions:

-how much does one of these cost and are they easy to replace without jacking up the car? Are they available most anyplace or is the dealer gonna rape me on this if I go there? :x

-When I had my Bimmers, they always sold these clear vinyl-type headlight and foglight lens protectors, so that if rocks hit they hit a soft flexible skin and the lens itself doesn't crack. I always thought that was a waste, until now. :roll: Are these available for Saabs and where do I get them?

I am gonna scour the net for these, but if anyone knows for sure, please let me know and save me some time! Thanks!

p.s. at least the roof rack looks pretty cool!

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
HAHAHAHAA!

$191 for a new foglight! :roll:

This is where uneedapart.com is gonna come in really handy, hopefully. (thanks again for posting that link, Cedric!)

Someone please tell me that I can replace just the lens!

I have found headlight protectors in the UK, but none in the US yet. Anyone got any leads, I really would like those for the fogs, too!

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for anyone who is looking for these headlight/foglight protectors, there are some at parts for Saabs that are about 35 pound UK, but there is a kit that covers both headlights and foglights for 44 dollars here:

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=332

they are custom cut for your car, I think I am getting these before there is another broken lens accident! :roll:

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If anyone is curious about these, they came in in about 1.5 weeks, custom cut for my car. There is 6 pieces for about 50 dollars shipped. two headlight covers, two foglight covers, two turn signal covers. You can barely tell they are there. I installed them this weekend, took about an hour. All you need is a spray bottle, isopropyl alcohol, water, a lint-free cloth, and a hairdryer. They stick right on, and they are harden up quick yet they remain soft enough to absorb impact from stones and other road debris....

Hopefully this will save me from another costly lamp replacement.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Good deal. Im glad this worked out for you.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Well I have just joined the list of cracked foglight lense owners...I need to find a replacement cause I hate when things are broken on my car...And since I am replacing it, I might as well buy those protective covers...Anyone know where I can buy the foglight lense cheap?

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found mine on uneedapart.com

mine was $155 shipped. This isn't bad compared to over 200 plus labor at a dealer, but not the best price, either....

they sent me a 9-5 light instead. it fits fine, it needed a good cleaning first, and it is the same light but with an extra light in there that doesn't connect to anything in my 9-3, so i just took it out... also they must have been a middleman selling me this part, because the foglight came with a reciept from someplace else saying it cost 75 bucks. still better than 200 plus labor, but i think I got taken for a ride, so watch out and try to get the best price.

it took about 10 minutes to install the new light myself, but it's tough to get under there without jackstands or something like that.... i also put in silverstar foglights while i was at it, looks HOT and now my headlights and fogs match!

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can't replace the lens, you need to buy the whole assembly, trust me, I tried to do the lens only first....

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rcmdesign said:
WO! You payed that much...www.eeuroparts.com has it for

#4469201 Right (passenger side) Foglight assembly $109.50

But I aint paying that much. I just want to find a lense replacement...
maybe it's different for a 900, but on that eeurparts site the cost is 145 for a 9-3 foglight, so 155 shipped seems about on par.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lucky bastard! :evil:

no sir, just kidding. But that is a good price, and i noticed most ng900 parts are cheaper than the 9-3 parts.

I guess if you are patient enough to look, you can find some great deals. 8)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts