Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am nearing the end of the journey for FWDLOL.

Once the Viggen gets pistons and a big turbo I am not taking it any further. It will be my fair weather enjoyment car. I have too much invested and too much love for it to sell it.

But I also want something more that big power and FWD can give.

That means RWD or AWD. I have toyed with a few options in my head.

The problem is my friend with an EVO.

He has been im'ing me once a week trying to prove why his Evo is the bettar.

He is starting to win out. I do not care that its built on an economy car. I do not care about the cheap interior. I do not care about the garrish looks(that much). I would skip over the EVO for those reasons if I was shopping for a DD which I am not.
I care about it being insane in a straight line and insane on a road course.
He picked up a bigger turbo and has showed me the proof. He has linked countless slips, dynos' etc of 9.9-11.0 EVO's with untouched engines aside from cams, turbo's, and supporting fuel delivery mods.

After now starting to see 03' EVO's for $15-17k, this is looking to be pretty tempting.

This is an example, of the price I am seeing now:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/859483743.html

I like the STI about as much, but it is not as raw and the fast per dollar ratio is not as good. I also don't see them hit the $15-17k as easily.

I also like the GTO but at 3800lbs it will never be as sharp as the EVO. The steering is pretty instant on the EVO and the weight is not bad at about 3200.

You guys out there have other lists for cars that are easy to mod, down right scary fast in a straight line and can still handle?

I know about F-bodys, the seating position with the long nose to me is terrible. Pass on the Mustang too.

I like the S2000, but it would need BIG power upgrades like FI to give the desired effect.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
03-04 Mustang Cobra.

/end thread.
They hold value VERY well. Terminator's are about $20-25k still. They are also 3500+lbs. I think they would make a GREAT 10 sec straight line car though. They are kind of big and clumsy, never approaching the feedback and finesse of an EVO.

I would consider one at $15k though.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Yeah this is her:

Just ran a 9.5 yesterday at the local track (actually it was the highway but don't tell my mom lol)

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
My girlfriend bought it for me. She's a stripper who appreciates the finer things in life (like good rugby shirts).

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
She and I have a lot in common. Minus daddy issues and taking our clothes off for income.
rotflmao....

jameson ever considered an MKii GTi with the VR6 swap and Synchro with a turbo?

pretty inexpensive and those fly...

or an older Subaru Legacy Turbo (mid 90s here). Upgrade that and not only will you get an EVO beater you will also have the WTF!?! factor when you win as most don't think those have turbos...

there is also the GLH Omnis...

I think i saw the perfect car on Jay Lenos site though. his Turboed upgraded Ford Festiva...

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
also, i know they're not easy to come by but rx7's can be built up pretty sweet, and mid 90's m3's can be had for a decent price too

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what about a c5 vette?
Sort of close in price range, $15-17k is unlikely though.

I have the same problem with them I do with the F-body. The seating position combined with a long nose that dissapears does not inspire confidence. They can also feel a bit clumsy, the EVO is likely bettered by very few cars when it comes to steering/feedback.

I would love an Elise, but $30k is still the norm.

I cannot justify spending more than $15-17k or such a limited utiliy car.

Now if I got rid of ALL of my cars to have one DO ALL. Then I would be looking much more interesting and $$$.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
yeah i see what you mean about the f and y-bodies. my T/A has a pretty long nose and it is odd compared to the saab, but it's more of an unrefined raw power kinda feel that i like every once in a while. personally i'd go after an sti over an evo

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rotflmao....

jameson ever considered an MKii GTi with the VR6 swap and Synchro with a turbo?

pretty inexpensive and those fly...

or an older Subaru Legacy Turbo (mid 90s here). Upgrade that and not only will you get an EVO beater you will also have the WTF!?! factor when you win as most don't think those have turbos...

there is also the GLH Omnis...

I think i saw the perfect car on Jay Lenos site though. his Turboed upgraded Ford Festiva...
Not that interested in anything too old. I had wanted to build up a TT Z, but it kind of feels like a big step backwards to be driving a 91-95' again.

also, i know they're not easy to come by but rx7's can be built up pretty sweet, and mid 90's m3's can be had for a decent price too
I love the RX-7. But they are still kind of pricey for a 93-94' and I am not a fan of the rotary's reliability and consumption issue. Now a mint bodied 94' with a turbo'd LSx for $15k.....DEAL.

E36 M3, love it. Still kind of pricey. I would also wanted it turbo'd. I doubt I would have a turbo'd m3 with under 60k miles for less than $17k. I would rather throw the money at a car already turbo'd then turbo an NA car. That is my gripe against the S2000 and E36.

I was sold on the EVO based on all the proof my friend showed me. He showed me 11 sec cars still running on the STOCK turbo. So far, that is pretty tough to beat.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
i was actually searching ebay for e36 m3's last night but when i saw the power they make na compared to my ng turbo i just didn't see why i would pick one up unless i had a min. of like $5k i could spend in mods

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
I'd only do an evo if it was from the current generation of the lancer. I haven't liked how the prior lancers have looked so because of that I would have jumped to the STI camp.

Now I'm sorta stuck between the idea of STI and Evo. I like both tremendously but from a looks I miss that raw un-smoothed look that the old STI front end had. I'd love the STI hatch and something like the old front but that won't happen.

1 - 20 of 313 Posts