Saab Link Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work with a company in the US that designs kits for Japanese import cars. We are currently looking into expanding our selection to euros. I am on the design team, so if you guys have any ideas...it would be appreciated. I will do a GB for this and for a lot cheaper than what the current one is going for. With some imput from you guys...i know we can make an awesome kit. Also, we dont believe in fiberglass...we find that is breaks way to easy..and if you guys race..it cracks under a lot of wind pressure. These would be made out of polyfibre w/ one layer of fiberglass...which means...super sturdy, dependable, strong, and wont break if you spit on it lol.

So let me know and lets get this rolling!

PM me, IM me @ aol IM:: liquidkman or email me.

Lata guys!

·
Registered
1 Posts
THAT'S AWESOME! those kits from sweden are a bit too expensive for me. so any competition to bring the price down is good news. I'm definitely interested, when do you think those kits could be ready by? i wanna show off my car this summer :D

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
hey, Saabrider...

Welcome...

The body kit issue has been a huge bone of contention in the (admittedly short) time I've been here, mainly because the two available kit solutions are, for some, at opposite ends of the taste spectrum. Making a NG900/9-3 into a Viggen clone is as far as some folks want to go, while others like the Japanese-inspired look of the Real Car kit. I posted some comments about the Real Car kit in this forum and elsewhere, and I'll elaborate on them if you like, but some of the things I found in some of the subsequent comments was:

• There's a strong preference for subtle aggression. Just as a whispered threat is much more menacing than a scream, the hottest Saabs are often complete sleepers.

Function over form. No ports to nowhere, no wings that look lifted from a 747. No useless ridges, or crazy ripples. Everything should have a clearly defined purpose, and enhance the performance of the car.

Faithful to original scale. Say what you want about its GM heritage, but the NG900 is a well-proportioned car. A body kit should reflect that. The old Airflow kit on my C900 hept the lines of the original while adding a definite muscularity.
If you want any more ideas, just holla.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're absolutely correct in what you said. I'm definitely not looking to "rice" this kit out. Subtlety is what we're looking for. I wanna keep everything smooth and sleek. Natural looking for that sleeper look. As always, more suggestions welcome.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Saabrider... first off welcome to our forum. I am very glad you stop through to tell us about this, as we have been thinking about finding a local company to initiate a mold for a new kit.

I think some of the main concerns have already been voiced regarding designs and I personally like the fact that you use polyurethane as well. Thats a big plus.

Just some other questions however...what company do you represent? Also does your company have a website, or any pictures of other kits that you've constructed? Just so we can get an example of the type of work you do.

I look forward to hearing your reply to this. Also I may have proposition for you and your company if this all works out well.

·
10,303 Posts
Let me take a picture of a Viggen, and then draw some points to maybe what I would like to see.

So far, I think larger area for intercooler, however keep the oval look, just make it edgyer.

Also how about some big ass round foglight holes for KC Daylighter type applications.

Maybe also some sort of mesh on the pass side just next to the license plate frame for possible cold air induction. And something to balance the look on the other side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys. I do apologize that I didn't introduce myself earlier. Well first here is a little about me:

Name: William
Car: 1997 Saab 900 S (not turbo YET) keyword...yet.
My Fiance, myself and a friend own our own motorsports shop, LoPro Motorsports, and we are affiliated w/ numerous automotive suppliers :eek:) We have our own website but it is in the process of being updated. Since we received new product for '04-'05 season.

As for the kits. I am working with Accolade on this project. We have created some of the hottest body kits out there for the import scene. We are looking to cross-over from a Japanese import scene to more of a Euro one. This is why all of the help and suggestions are appreciated. Here is their website and please do ask as many questions as possible. I am always here for everyone.

Here is Accolade's web address:

http://www.body-kit.com

If you want to see one of the kits I personally helped create, take a look at the link:

http://www.body-kit.com/evovii.html

Thanks and please let me know if you need anything or have questions.

·
10,303 Posts
Forgive us for being a bit skiddish, most imports with kits I see either Euro or Jap, are just cars with body kits. Alot of us here put more emphasis on making our cars silly fast, instead of how they look. Take my bumper for example. :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is very true. I agree. The thing with the Japanese Import kits are to completely modify the look from the OEM standard. They are out to change the look as well as engine components. I know with more Euros, they come with fantastic bodies already. But it is to each person and how they see their car or project. I guess it basically comes down to one's outlook for their car, and how much they want it to differ from the other "guys", and reflect their own personality.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
For that reason, are you looking to make several different designs...say a less agressive look and an alternative one with a more agressive look? Or just one design that fits along the line with everyone's opinions?

I ask this because many people want to stick with the Viggen look, however I feel if I'm going to change the look, why not go with something that doesn't resemble another Saab, yet is still in good taste.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
To start throwing out ideas...I like this style of rear bumper, with the vents.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We're thinking of two designs

The replies we are receiving from this forum have made us realize that at least two kits should be made. A subtle, non-imposing kit, and a more aggressive one. There are a lot of options open due to the design of the car. However, we'll be focusing, first, on the "sleeper" kit.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
What about more like this...not as agressive but sill nice.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
See some of us want a very aggressive import scene look, while others want the classic "viggen" plain ole' look. So two kits would be good to satisfy both demands. What kind of price are we looking at for a full kit. $400/$500 like most import honda kits??

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
See I'd definately like that front, just without the extended valence at the bottom. That extension will make it too easy to chip, or scratch, because it sticks out. Maybe that front without the little lip on the bottom.

But I REAALLY like that design as a whole...without the lip.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Saabrider,

The Accolade kits appear pretty varied, even enough to satisfy the polar opposite tastes you'll hear on this board. My preference is toward the Mazda 6 or the Lexus Eurostyled one, not something that's going to frighten small children.

All the necessary design cues for your Euro-sleeper Saab kit are right there in the chrome yellow Viggen that Tweek posted. I'd suggest you look at it for what works (which is a lot) then pump up the volume...

Tweek was right about keeping the shape of the Viggen IC "mouth" . Look at the Viggen and you'll see that the front air-dam opening mimics the center shape of the grille. That's the kind of deliberate design that works. Maybe try inverting it (a la the Evo) or enlarging it. The foglight openings mimic the rectangular headlights, so those are going to be tough. Sorry Tweek: Circular ones would look like missplaced eyes, or give it the goggle-eyed look of the Subaru Impreza, changed for the 2003+ models. :shock:

On the Viggen, notice how the subtle crease leading along the side of the front air dam is continued on the other side of the wheel by a corresponding crease on the side skirt. A strong design element, but not totally in your face. First time I saw the Viggen in Saab Soundings magazine I stared at it for like five minutes.

That ass needs some work, so Ced's idea about vents might be nice, as long as it fulfulled the original intent of cleanly hiding the gas tank, rear muffler and suspension components. End-user installed mesh might be nice, and reduce the material costs.

Front and back, toughest measurements are going to be entry and exit heights for something that's lowered. These cars are going to be driven in the real world, not exclusively on a track. This is the mistake most ricers make when they realize that their expensive kit is getting grated away by every 5 degree ramp...RCM, that's going to be the problem with that Lancer the first time the guy decides to hit the 7-Eleven. SCRRRRRAPE!!!!!!

Not to make this a whole design thesis, but ....Don't recreate the Viggen...just put more flash in the lightning!

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Rob, the airdam on the black 900 you posted is a start in the right direction...They noticed the symmetry of the grille but went a little overboard on the proportions. The small lip on the outside edge is nice, as it flows into the curve of the wheel opening.

The lip on the front is gonna get bruised. It should tuck down and out of the way...

(You guys thinking about CF hoods: notice the heat-induced warpage on that "ground effects" pic. I'd be one pissed-off mofo if that happened to me....)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.