Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 9-3 and has the BPV, I was wondering if there are any write ups to modify it to BOV- Ive seen pics where ppl block ports that come from the exhaust.. and some that use a micro filter off a BOV, but I dont know if there are any repercussions that could harm the engine.

This is my first turbo car and dont mind the WOOOSH noise! I hear if i upgrade to a cold air intake, that brings out the noise.. But I dont want to spend 180-350 to buy one online. At the moment I've been looking up parts/checked out autozone but need adapters to the MAF.

I appreciate any help!

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I still wanna try a hybrid50/50 valve but everyone here says it's a bad idea :)

If you wanna be a guinny pig....lemme know how it goes ;)
No point. The engine management on these cars is too smart. Get a nice BPV, open air intake, and if you want even more, take the insulation on your hood off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are there any negatives taking off the insulation off the hood other than sound not being muffled? I checked out the open air intake from Genuine Saab and for $129 it looks like all that's included is the cone and metal that bends around the filter-- I'll look around

Wish I was with the cool kids :p!

My stock bpv holds pressure and car has over 100k miles, is it wise to upgrade if there are no current issues/any gains?

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Are there any negatives taking off the insulation off the hood other than sound not being muffled?
Nope. And it was mainly for sound anyway. I had it off for years on my '96 and no effect.

My stock bpv holds pressure and car has over 100k miles, is it wise to upgrade if there are no current issues/any gains?
If it's holding, then don't worry about it. They can fail over time, especially with increased boost. Till then don't worry about it though. Just the aftermarket ones usually produce more sound.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ill second (or third) picking up the GS open air intake. Ive had mine for 2+ years and it sounds fantastic. I still have my hood insulation, and I can very audibly hear the turbo whine, followed by some BPV noise. I do have a Turbo XS BPV/BOV though, which I just uncorked tonight to use as a BOV again.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Are there any negatives taking off the insulation off the hood other than sound not being muffled?
I don't have the insulation on my 95 NG, and it sounds sick. I also have the stock diverter valve with a custom open intake. I can clearly hear a pshh when I let off boost, but nothing near as annoying as a BOV.

my 2 cents, get the GS open intake, remove insulation, call it a day.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright! I officially installed and took of the insulation, had no idea what to expect.. got it into 2nd-3rd gear and could hear the WOOSSSSSSHH, had a some fun driving it around :D Thnx guys for recommendation!

Anyone seen any improvements with Manual Boost Contoller??

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
mbjones87;769049Anyone seen any improvements with Manual Boost Contoller??[/QUOTE said:
Never used a MBC, but I do have a tuned ECU. IMO tuned ecu's are the way to go, you can up boost, and control other aspects that are just as important (fueling exct.) You can get a stage 1 tune from a number of tuner's on here, or you can pay much more money for a Nordic Tune. I recommend getting someone on here to tune your ecu for you using T5 suite, or learn to use T5 suite yourself.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Alright! I officially installed and took of the insulation, had no idea what to expect.. got it into 2nd-3rd gear and could hear the WOOSSSSSSHH, had a some fun driving it around :D Thnx guys for recommendation!

Anyone seen any improvements with Manual Boost Contoller??
Not really going to see any effects on T7. The only thing that it will really do is up the boost limit in 1+2nd gears if you have a manual.

You'll really want a tune.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.