Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fella came to visit me at work yesterday from Boston, who said that there is nowhere left to put the snow, and that the city of Boston wants to dump it in the ocean, but everyone is up in arms because the snow is full of salt and dirt.

............................. :rolleyes:

What say you?

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Well, Burlington puts it fairly close to Lake Champlain and no one seems to loose their minds over it (and you think they would).

Yeah, it's an old-timey way to deal with things, but it's the same situation here in Jersey City. It's damn dangerous to drive these days because of huge mounds of snow obscuring other cars at intersections as well as pedestrians.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Doesn't NYC have incinerator dumpsters that then drain the melted snow into the sewers? Why can't Boston do something like that.

What does it matter if the dump the snow in the ocean. All that dirt and slat is going to get washed there anyway when all the snow melts.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
We used to dump the snow in the Hoosic River where I live. EPA says we can't do that any more. I don't see the issue, all the storm drains in the Village go there anyway. We're renting a rural field nearby and trucking it there.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Yes. It's true.

The city is prohibited from dumping it in the harbor. Boston and other coastal cities are part of a regional water resources agency that just finished a massive, decades-long process of reducing pollution in the harbor, which used to be more of a cesspool than a harbor.)

EDIT: In regular snowfalls, the ratio of snow to sand, salt and road crap is much lower. This season, there's MUCH more snow in relation to crap, so it makes sense to dump it....at least on the beaches.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Well, Burlington puts it fairly close to Lake Champlain and no one seems to loose their minds over it (and you think they would).

Yeah, it's an old-timey way to deal with things, but it's the same situation here in Jersey City. It's damn dangerous to drive these days because of huge mounds of snow obscuring other cars at intersections as well as pedestrians.
Too answer your question from the other tread, no this not a normal fuckin winter. It's absolutely ridiculous to have as much as we have had this season and I'm sure a lot of places that can say the same. I remember some winters it snowed once or twice thats it, it was cold but no snow. That's was when I didn't absolutely despise the snow.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hartford has a similar 'crisis'. They thought instead of dumping into the CT river they would develop and utilize some sort of snow melter, melt the snow, then dump it into the storm drains... which run into the... CT river... :confused:. Like mentioned, it all ends up in the same place.

I couldn't really dig up any solid articles on the process, but I guess people are all over the place about it. I suppose that if you just bring it to a field and dump it there the ground sort of filters the salt yadda yadda returns to the water table 'fresher' yadda yadda clean rivers blah blah. Or conversely, you could bring politics into it and spend money/create jobs to develop shit to melt more shit to have all that shit end up in the same shitty place: the CT river.

Oh and since when did people start caring about what ended up in the Sound?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Boston and now others ..

I am going to hold my temper to a point, but New York City too has had to stop dumping it's snow into the Hudson and has to send it to recycling and purification plants.

Now, we can't touch the PCB's and other agents like Agent Orange (make a left turn at the Passaic River in NY Harbor and a half mile up are still piles of Agent Orange ladden munge from the Viet ... er ... "Police Action".

What you are looking at here, plain and simple are more Gubberment Doctor Feelgood jobs to the pay-for-pay crowd.

I have been in the game far too long and when I really sit down and think about it there is, that is, well, I can't really think of a single law that was passed for the common good. I wish I could, I really do.

Many of you look at me a being a sour old, negative SOB. I guess that was part of the job "spec" too. But, you have a choice and that is to go out and work for the tax paying citizens ... You ... that's right, you were my boss and paid my bills, and I would hope that you always wanted me to do the right thing, not because some politician's campaign coffer was fat because of the pay-ta'-play.

The double whammy? Do you think for a second China is wasting a red cent on dumping cleaning up snow or worrying about the air quality while they stock our Wal-Mart shelves?

Do you know that one of the worst parts of my job was seeing the factories and plants that once made products, real goods. I asked one day about this place that was shutting down ... asked if it was because they couldn't get the raw paper to make boxes since those mills were shutting down. The plant engineer said that no, we just don't make anything to put in boxes any more.

sorry ... a bit off track as usual .. but it all fits together

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.