Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to do a boost leak test on a Viggen. Hooked a compressor up to the intake cobra and got a lot of air coming out of the dipstick tube. Called a Saab Mechanic about it and he said this is normal. Has anyone performed a boost leak test before and gotten air coming out of the dipstick tube. Seems strange. If so how did you seal up the tube? Ideas? Help would be appreciated, especially from those who have done boost leak test on a 9-3 :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yea the hard line that bolts to the cobra pipe is your Pcv line. Unbolt the hard line at the cobra pipe and perform test again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll give that a shot. Is that the line with the check valves going to the canister? Or the hard pipe that literally bolts to the cobra?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plugged the PVC line off the cobra as well as the other check valves. I'm still getting lots of air out of the dipstick pipe. Mostly around where the plastic assembly meets a metal pipe near the bottom of the manifold. Since all the possible air outlets on the cobra are plugged, it must be something on the pressure side that is causing this. It has me concerned because I don't see how this would be any different while driving. Boost leaking through dipstick and who knows where else. What could be the reason for this? On a positive note I did find three other easy to fix leaks so far at just 4 psi.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
If you are pressurizing the intake tract with a significant amount of pressure in order to test for a preassure leak. A large air loss "preassure venting" thought the dipstick tube is normal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you are pressurizing the intake tract with a significant amount of pressure in order to test for a preassure leak. A large air loss "preassure venting" thought the dipstick tube is normal.
So how is it any different when you go into boost? I have also having this issue, I can get the system to about 7psi before it starts pouring out.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
hey, just saw this, the air in the dipstick somes though the line on the top of the cobra pipe, plug that line, then re-do the boost leak check

1 - 10 of 10 Posts