Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for a 9-3. I am not entirely sure how many changes there would be for a 900, but if you could, post some of those additions for the 900

attach your T intersection on the hose that runs to your MAP sensor that is mounted on the front sway bar. You will then need to run your hose through the firewall. As recommended to me by NineThreeTurbo, I removed the fuse box, which is held in by a plastic bolt and a pain in the ass clip

pain in the ass clip on left of fuse box. I removed mine with a screwdriver and a mirror to see what i was doing. when I put it back on, I only put one side of it back on, cause it was such a pain in the ass to take off

plastic bolt on right. This is easily removed with a 10mm socket, but dont drop it, cause a magnet wont help in getting it back out.

There is a rubber "gasket" with a wiring harness going through it. I used a piece of house wire to punch a hole in it, then took a dremel to enlarge the hole a bit. I used the copper house wire to pull the hose through the hole. On the inside, before doing this step, remove the kick on the bottom of the dash. It is held in with several screws and one bolt. There is also a plug on the bottom of the kick that must be removed to get the piece out.

After pulling the hose through the hole, it can be found above the clutch and to the left. It is a tight squeeze to get a hand in there to grab the hose and pull it through.

If you are going to install the gauge where the headlight switch is currently mounted, the headlight switch is easily pulled out, unplugged, and placed under the dash, and plugged back in. the hole needs to be dremeled out a bit to fit the gauge in. There is a screw inside the hole for the switch which tends to make lots of sparks if you hit it with the sander, so you know when you hit it. test fit the gauge in a few times, and make sure it fits nicely. If the hole is tight enough, you will not need the mounting bracket that comes with the gauge. Pull the vacuum/boost hose up to the hole, and pull it through the hole. The hose needs to be snaked around a bit under the dash.

to wire the gauge for lights, on a 9-3, use a green and white wire if you want the gauge to brighten with the rest of the dash. I think ERP's website gives you more choices of wires to use. Wire your gauge with the instructions on the package otherwise.

hook you gauge to your boost hose, and thats pretty much it. I started the engine, and the T was leaking, so I covered it with electrical tape, but that didnt work for the long run, and I ended up replacing all the MAP hosing with the stuff I bought at Home Depot. Put everything back together, and take it for a test drive.

If you have a leak, you will know it. When you press on the gas, you will deccelerate, until about 3/4 throttle, at which point the car will jerk around, then be at full throttle, the the CEL will come on. Fix the leak and drive it around, and the CEL will go off after a while

parts list
1/4 inch OUTSIDE DIAMETER HOSING
T intersection to fit that hosing (preferably a barb end T)
Adapter to boost gauge back
wire, if not included with gauge
thats really all that you need

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Can I add, for a T7 9-3 you should not tap the MAP sensor , nor should you tap the throttle body to BPV vacuum hose, these are all important to the ECU in T7 and highly sensitive. Use hose 3 in the pic below.

thanks to ricot83 and other Saab friends for this info and saving me from making a huge mistake. :oops: :wink:

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
also here are some tips I would suggest after my install to make it easier.

tip#1

the little rubber plug in the firewall.... get an Xacto knife of razor and score a small "X" in it, right in the middle, then you can pass your vacuum line or electric wire (depending if you get mech or elec gauge) right through and it will hold it snug and you won't have as big a hole.

tip #2

no need to remove the whole fuse box. get some of those really long needle nose pliers with the really long long handles. start the vaccum hose or signal wire in the cabin and poke through into the engine bay. then use the long thin pliers to grab the hose and pull it up. you can do this without having to remove the fuse box!

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
On the solenoid by the fuse box on the drivers side, with the three hoses coming out, it's the rightmost one. I just did this too...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts