Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 9-3 and am wonder if the needle on the boost gauges really ever suppose to go into the red. I wanted to see if mine would the other day so i put the car into sport mode and floored it on straight way going from 30 mph to ninty mph. I felt the turbo kicj in but the gauge topped off at the top of the yellow but never did touch the red. It came close but didn't. Does that mean I have low boost. The turbo has only 55k on it and the temp outside was around 15 degrees. I have winter tires on and use on 93 octane gas. The car was fully warmed up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Your car is just fine. My viggen doesnt reach the red and the only way it is going to is if I get a new ECU. I do understand, I wanna hang out in the red area too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It should go just a hair into the red, or at least does so on my 900 SE.
The other thing to think about is, the boost is a little less on the automatics, so maybe that's the difference...

·
Registered
299 Posts
if you want more boost you could try adjusting the base boost. i dont know if T7 will let you do that tho

·
Registered
392 Posts
99 is still t5 i thought

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
you can get an mbc then it willl go into the red 8) !!

but no it doesnt go into the red ever! well mine does a tad with my smbc but thats it...nothing like erics whos goes to the end of the red i belive!! weeee turbo!

·
Registered
352 Posts
there is nothing wrong with your car, on stock boost the needle should not go in the red for long, it might just touch the red but not go into the red at all....i have an ebc and it puts my car into the red just a tad and so should an mbc

btw, the boost gauge is a relative scale, meaning it can go all the way into the red and mean 24 psi or go all the way into the red and mean 20 psi

and yes T7 came on all cars in 2000 and just on viggens in 1999, T5 was on all non-viggen saabs in 1999 and years prior

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
the last few days it has been between -5 and 5 degrees and my car will boost about a quarter way into the red on stock software. It likes the cold weather.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Don't overlook the other factor too and that is that the dashboard boost gauge is very subjective at best and can be wrong or read low alot of times. If you really want to see if your boost is ok put in a boost gauge and see what your peak and fall of PSI are and then you will always know if you have any issues with your boost being low.

My 2000 9-3 SE HOT Auto gets about an 1/8 or a little bette into the red on cold days (well california cold 55F) and on hot days i just hit below the line of red so it is very subjective on alot of different factors all the way down to your choice in gas.

I would do yourself the favor and put in a boost gauge and since you have a T5 throw in a K&N drop in with the 3" air box mod and a MBC+A and have some fun!!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you tell me alittle more about the amnual boost with A. I dont kniow much about that?

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
This is a direct quote from MPPerformance's website which sells a very nice MBC+A for the NG900's and T5 cars.

http://mpperformance.com/ng900.asp

A manual boost controller allows for higher than stock boost levels and power and a faster boost response. Most MBCs are now ball-spring types, as these make the turbo spool up much faster than the older 'bleeder' type MBCs. The only downside of the ball-spring types is that they will create boost pressure overshoots in an application where the turbo spools up very fast. And everyone wants fast boost response, so this is a common problem. A ball-spring MBC simply operates too late to regulate the boost pressure when the rate of boost response is fast. The MBC+A overcomes this fundamental flaw in ball-spring MBCs by directly compensating for what the ball-spring MBC cannot do. T he MBC+A applies a regulated pressure to the wastegate actuator as the boost pressure is increasing. This anticipates the actuation of the wastegate actuator. The anticipator pressure is adjusted to pre-pressurize the WGA. so when the ball-spring MBC starts to flow, its flow can get the WGA open immediately without delay.

That is pretty much the gist of it. Please let me know if you have anymore questions about it!!

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where would i go about buying one of those? Websites/links. IS there any draw back to installing one, meaning can it hurt other parts of the car or do i also need to get other parts to update the car for it. Thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
mpperformance sells them http://www.mpperformance.com
not sure if dawes devices have the +A, maybe somebody else with an mbc can comment about getting them, i have an ebc, much more reliable without boost spikes but much more $$$

there is no downside to using one of these, this can often be one of the first mods done, as long as you're not cranking the boost way out of the range of the turbo, you won't have any problems....

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
The Dawes device is ok to use but I second the MPPerformance product as it is very well tested and good quality. The one thing that I really want to stress if you are going to install a MBC is that you run an aftermarket BOOST GAUGE although if you install the device and tune it right you will not have any negative impact (except you may never leave your car). The boost gauge will allow you to see if you are having boost spikes and exactly what PSI range you are running in so you don't over tune the levels of the stock supporting systems like fuel and such.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Would hate to see a $75 investment cost $2000 because it got turned up 1 to many turns and suffered a massive boost spike.

Don't let this talk of boost spikes scare you as long as you are monitoring things and keeping an eye on boost levels and if you got crazy then an Air/Fuel Ration gauge then you should never see a problem. The one hing I have said in other posts is that if you modify your car you can always compromise something if the systems ad motor are not in tip top shape. Before I start to mod any engine I start off with some basics first.

1. Check overall condition of motor
2. Check all belts, tensioners and hoses
3. Get the codes pulled to see if I am kicking any CEL's
4. New Plugs

Once I am comfortable with all that then its time to get serious about the power mods. Remeber that in order for the car to take full advantage of the power mods you need to think about the engine and how it breathes and consider a Drop in K&N Filter and the 3" Air Box Mod along with your MBC+A. Then start looking at exhaust as one of the next things to modify (Others may disagree here but I think it is important for breathing and flow). Also you may want to look at the MPPerformance Steering Rack brace since you will want to be able to control all the additional power you will see with the MBC.

I guess what I am saying is to plan your mods out and exactly what you are looking to get from your car and then move forward with the mods.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts