Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is my thesis on my own attempt to BlueTooth my 95. I have done everything I can to compile and digest everything I need to do this, but there are some gaps I can't quite resolve without help. Please, if anyone can help me out here I'll be forever grateful. Here are the details: it's a 2001 95 equipped with the now defunct analog on-star equipment. I believe I have the TEL1 stuff, since I squeezed the shark fin and it's rigid. I have purchased the "EGO Talk" hands free kit by Funkwerk: http://www.egohandsfree.com/products/34-products/46-ego-talk.html. I like it because it's pretty sleek and very small. It is also supposed to do the streaming media over wireless, which sure would be cool. The user guide is published here: http://www.egohandsfree.com/images/stories/Manuals/EGO-TALK-MAN-US.pdf . The wire harness diagram is on page 19.

My goal here is to unplug the On-Star as I have seen discussed, and wire the HF unit in so that I can use the speakers, audio muting, and the built in mic. So, to the questions....

First I have seen a lot of posts describing this procedure for the 93's, but not much for the 95. Can I safely expect to find the 375 connector somewhere? Do I need to pull the radio out to disconnect On-Star? Or is it also found on the right hand side of the center hump between the seats?

Now, as to the connections - first, since I think I know the answer to this one: about the antenna/shark fin usage: I assume this is only possible if the HF unit supports it, and you have a phone docking cradle? I do not expect to add a cradle, so I'm assuming I won't be using the antenna lead for anything: it will be my phone that dictates the reception, as I understand it.

Moving on, I thought I would detail out exactly which wires would be connected to which others, and make sure that I know exactly what my plan is before pulling anything off or cutting any wires. Here is my attemp at connection mapping based on the 375 diagram here: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=471744&postcount=23, enumerated from the 375-centric view:

1. Black - ground:
a. Should run through the 375 connector, through harness, out black wire, and be spliced (if necessary) to the brown wire on the EGO

4. Yellow - audio mute (input):
a. Signal starts w/EGO, runs through yellow wire, through harness and into 375, where it winds up connected to the EHU

7. Blue/white - line output ground -
The HF manual (page 14) speaks of connecting its green and purple leads to the 'phone out,' and 'Phone in+' if I want full audio support. The 375 connector has two wires I don't "get": the blue/white, and the grey/white. Might these be a match? Is it at all possible that 'HF phone out' == '375 line output ground', and 'HF phone in+' == '375 line output positive'?? That sure would make it all neat and tidy, a 1 to 1 correlation. If not, it seems that the HF unit expects two leads I don't have, and I have two leads from the 375 I don't know what to do with. I'm stymied. They don't sound as if they're a match, but maybe? I guess this is the critical bit, and I can't figure it out....any thoughts?

9. Green - mic ground:
Here I am confused. I want to use the built-in mic. See notes on pin #14/orange.

10. Red/blue - ignition/switched power (output):
Obviously, this is a gimme - the power comes off of the battery, through the 375 & harness, and gets tied into the EGO's blue wire/pin 9.

11. Red - permanent power (output):
Also a gimme - the power comes off of the battery, through the 375 & harness, and gets tied into EGO's red wire/pin 8.

14. Orange - low level mic (output??):
a. Again, I prefer to use the Saab mic. So what I need is to connect the built in mic's low-level lead IN to the EGO controller. So I need to verify that the orange/lead is what I think it is - the signal gathered by the factory mic. Then I need to understand how to connect that to a mini-plug so I can patch it in to my controller. Is there a way to tie both the mic ground (375 pin 9) to the same mini-plug (I assume that's what it's expecting??). I've seen where someone used radio shack's P/N 42-2434 to do this, but it's not clear to me how I can connect both wires (orange and green) through the same mini-plug?

15. Grey/white - line output positive: covered in #7

Another looming question, about the line-level inputs: the EGO controller can stream audio wireless from BT devices, which would be pretty cool (I'm thinking of iPhones and such as a top-level music source for road trips), so it needs to be connected by line level inputs to the EHU (it seems to me that's connecting the same device twice, but I guess it's a matter of signal quality). So, I need to know if I can find line level leads back to the EHU at the same spot when I find my 375 connector? Or if not, where else might I get them? If I use these inputs, aren't I going to have to switch the source on the audio system to hear the music? That is, is there an explicit way to access those line-ins? And Lastly: I'm confused about the notion of 'TECH2'. Is this a TECH2 thing? If yes, then how can I get that done?

OK, sorry for the terribly long post, but I want to try to understand this stuff before I dive in. I don't want to start just splicing things together blindly. Can anyone help clarify any of this?

Thanks so much in advance.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I posted this for a moto Kit:

For the adapter harnes ( available for $20 from GenuineSaab) I just used the instructions from GenuineSaabs reference library for the handsfree install and the adapter from them ( for my car 02+) that I bought for $20 had an instruction manual. Not sure that the 01 is the same with Tel1 but you can call GS and ask they are very helpful.

That and this wiring color code for the saab harmess from GS here were all I needed.

Pin Color Designation Saab adapter Moto Kit
1 Black Ground Black
4 Yellow Mute ORANGE
7 Blue/White Line Output Ground -Speaker Wire (Black w white markings)
9 Green Mic Output Ground Black Mic Wire
10 Red/Blue Power key controlled Blue ( I think look in the book)
11 Red Power constant Red
14 Orange ???? Not used
16 Red/Gray Line Output Signal + Speaker wire ( Plain Black)
18 Brown/Gray Mic High/Low Level Output White Mic Wire

The Onstar is not a pre-amp input so if you control volume using the volume control on the bluetooth you ca get some buzzing. You need to pick a good volume and then use the control on the stereo

Using the antenna would be good but you would need to connect it to the handset somehow with the cable directly. I guess handsets make a plug that you can connect to an antenna line.

I guess you can stream through Bluetooth but you would lose something and not have stereo

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I found out the hard way that the orange is spliced into the horn relay... nothing like getting that first phone call on Bluetooth and having the horn go off.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
You won;t miss a call that way
Au contraire! The radio mute lead is activated when it is grounded, just like the horn relay. So with the mute lead hooked to the horn relay lead, the horn would sound continuously during the call and stop when the call ends.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
au contraire! The radio mute lead is activated when it is grounded, just like the horn relay. So with the mute lead hooked to the horn relay lead, the horn would sound continuously during the call and stop when the call ends.
LMAO!!!!! :D hehehe

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Au contraire! The radio mute lead is activated when it is grounded, just like the horn relay. So with the mute lead hooked to the horn relay lead, the horn would sound continuously during the call and stop when the call ends.
That's what you get for talking "on the horn" (I know I am old) so stop blowing your"horn"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe if I ask these questions one at a time...

What do you guys think about the possibility of #7 (line output ground) and #15 (line output positive) from the 375 being connected up to what the Funkwerk wires for "HF phone out" and "'HF phone in+", respectively? Any chance that those are a match, based on your experience?

Thanks....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Carl - that is hilarious - sounds like something my wife would accuse me of doing

- cut the red wire not the black.... of the bomb will explode... LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts