Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got me one of them cool lookin squid/octopus strut bar things (the orange thing in the picture below) from genuinesaab. it comes black powdercoat, like stock. I also am getting a upgraded rear sway bar.

so I was wondering, do you think it would be "too overdone" to have the octopus bar redone (powdercoat) in Viggen metallic lightening blue, to match my filter and BPV? the rest of the engine bay will stay black with some carbon fiber accents. or should I just leave it black? I want it to look unique but not over the top, or too cheesy...

Also will powdercoat on a sway bar under the car hold up to chipping and dirt and grease, or is that a waste of money? pointless or nice bling?

The only other thing I plan to make blue is at some point blue calipers (also viggen blue powdercoat) and possibly when the rubber dries out I may get some blue silicone hosing.

opinions, please... my car is black exterior and i could live with a more sublte stock look with black parts but i don't wanna be totally blacked out with no color at all. it is hard to visualize and since powdercoating is not cheap I am curious to hear what others think?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Blue

·
Registered
316 Posts
Dan, as you can tell from my car build, I would be partial to a silver chrome and the powder coat will stand up. However, blue would look good also.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
I have a BLUE house with a BLUE window. BLUE is the color I love to weeeaaaaarrrr!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
140 Posts
GO BIG BLUE!!! as we say here at the University of Kentucky .. go cats!!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Go Blue, break up the black a little but, with def blue hoses

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
yeah - blue is better - color is better then black sometimes - my new stainless steel brake lines have RED covers on them - another great product from Group 9 I must add 8) Should add a nice lil behind the wheel flare to the SPG when it's built.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
i say paint it pink! any color as long as it works! those arent cheap! id say leave it black but thats what im guna do so go blue!

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the feedback....I am getting lots of votes for blue but ultimately I gotta decide for myself what i want to do....

I am really torn here. I want some color but since the squid bar is really kinda like two bars instead of one, it might be alot of blue.

I just don't want to be too boy racer looking, but want something a lil different. almost everything on this car is black already anyway....

where is Rob with his photoshop? I am too lazy to work one up myself.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
after taking out the cone filter for an inbox sprt filter there is not enough blue anymore. So I have begun to sand off the powder coat on the squid bar and will be painting it "bahama blue" which is an electric blue type color, the closest to viggen lightening blue I could find and an almost dead on match to my acid blue hyperboost valve. pics soon.

I am also painting the oil filler, coolant and washer fluid caps the same blue.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Definately PowderCoat it, I bought mine before Genuine Saab started powdercoating them and mine is totally covered in rust......Nick, the black ones from last summer weren't powdercoated were they?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yeah abduckted if you are going to take the time to take it off and sand it and whatnot then you should have it powdercoated so you don't have to ever really worry about corrosion or it chipping.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if it does not come out right or it chips too easily then i will powdercoat it. for now I am painting. there is more satisfaction in spending 10 bucks and lots of hard work than paying 70 bucks and not doing anything. more rewarding this way. although I am very tempted to get this sweet candy blue powder job... :? :lol: you guys realize this is the strut brace and not the sway bar I am painting, right?

and RCM, copycat? it is not like you invented painting strut bars and platic caps. :roll:

besides, I am getting rid of yellow, you are adding it. :lol:

·
Registered
439 Posts
abdukted1456 said:
So I got me one of them cool lookin squid/octopus strut bar things (the orange thing in the picture below) from genuinesaab.
Picture below?!?!
You mean the one in the bay right?

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess there is no pic anymore. here is is in my engine bay.

strut bar was black, soon to be very BLUE.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts