Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah so I just got home and as I was pulling into my street I completely lost all heat in my car and as I pulled into my driveway my car stalled out and started smoking like crazy. As I was driving I did notice a sweet smell the entire ride home so that tells me I popped the head gasket.

The good news is I have a replacement motor in the garage but the downside is it's a Turbo motor, this is where I need the help :(. I have the wire diagram to my car but I need to know which pin outs are what to the ECU. I really need the car to go to and from my destination as it is my only car, so, I need as much help as I can get to swap the motor. I was originally going to swap the motor's as a project based activity but now I need to.

My car is a 92 Non-turbo 5 speed and I have everything to do the swap, the intercooler, the turbo piping, the DI/APC computers, the turbo, the down pipe, I actually have the harness from the turbo version also but I do not have all that much time to mess with the wiring due to having to take the entire interior out including the dash. I will be taking the engine and transmission out together since it will be easier (didn't put the boot clamps back on the CV joints). I'm thinking of cutting the Turbo harness at the plugs and splicing it in with the Non-turbo plug and what ever wires are left not spiced I can hook up to the item that it needs to be hooked up to like the APC valve I know of. I want to know if I can get away with doing something like that and I want to know which ECU pin goes to what because the diagram I have goes 1-30 in order but I don't know if that's how everything is wired. I don't know if I'm explaining it properly but I really need help on reading the ECU pin outs compared to the diagram I have.

·
Registered
109 Posts
if your looking for a quick fix just replace your head gasket. but if you really want the turbo motor in your 9k it would be best to do it right and swap the harnesses. by not swapping them you are more likely to run into more serious issues later on.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
time is of the essence which is why I'll accept the consequences when I run into the problem.

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you have the ECU for the turbo it should be easy to swap out one ECU for the other. After that, just unplug the wiring harness from the ECU, pass it through the firewall and pile it atop the engine, using a bungee cord to hold it in place. That way, when you pull the engine and trans, it will all come out together so, once you have the engine in the car, just uncoil the wiring harness and pass it's connector through the firewall and plug it back into it's ECU, simple.

I honestly don't know why people try to make this more difficult than it ever actually should be by disconnecting and labeling this or that connector and wiring harness whereas, if you just unplug from the main, you only have one(1) connector to unplug and replug.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
i can do an HG in under 4 hours on that car, which is much less time than swapping a motor, espially a turbo one and all it entales

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I'd just do the headgasket, those 92 n/a engines were great. I had many go well over 300k. But that wouldn't be any fun...what year are your engine,harness and ecu's from? If you don't have traction control stuff to deal with (which you don't want to get into) go just like Snigel laddare said, should more or less be "plug and play" Only thing I can think you'll need to add in (maybe) is wiring for the bpc

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The turbo and turbo plumbing is from a 92 as well as the wiring harness. The ECU's are from a 91 turbo and the engine is from a 92 turbo it has the ETB but the ecu's dont support that from my understanding so I can use the N/A TB. Sorry I've been absent I have been trying to gather more more materials due to the engine-to-ECU harness being cut right at the plug from the Turbo motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts