Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subject: MOVING THE LOCATION OF BOV/BPV/DUMP VALVE

MODEL: 1990 (900) conv. (all stock)

I just ordered a BOV and was told that I will most likely have to relocate my battery box. Well, I do not intend to do this because of a picture I came across (it is making me reconsider replacing the plastic one with my new one in the same location) Can I get some opinion on relocating this BOV closer to the throttle body?

>9000 forum thread (diff model same theory)
http://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?p=568393

> 9-3 forum thread (same discussion)
http://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27125

pictures for comparison
http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/900/index.html?bID=379563

-Stock configuration-

I understand the theory (save your breath). What I would like is for someone to agree or disagree with this location.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
The BOV or BPV should be nowhere near the battery on a c900. You don't have to worry about that at all. The diagram above it an early b202 Saab 9000, the layout is not the same as a c900.

As far as closer to the throttle body, that is a good thing to do. If you are going to relocate it at all, then just before the throttle body is the place to do it.

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Also, it's a 1990 c900.

It's not going to like that BOV one bit due to the way the ECU "reads" the air going into the engine...

Also, that picture is totally screwed up. The BPV is on the other side of the engine.

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Right. I meant screwed up for a c900.

Anyway, that's a moot point.

Azpitbull, a BOV on a 1990 C900 will give you a check engine light, and make the car run very rich.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Some people have been able to pull off a BOV on LH2.4 and LH2.4.2, however it seems hit and miss. Maybe partly because of the general state of health of the car, maybe partly due to different type of BOVs and different springs? Not sure, but I do know that it seems to be a crap shoot with a bit of a risk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JK,
Thanks for the feedback. Since I have an extra intake tube, I am gonna drill a hole, attach BOV and use a metallic sealer around it. Then i am going to cap off the line, as well as the throttle body tube. My other option is to buy a different BOV which resembles the cheap bosch plastic one, but a better one.

Onto a different matter, I saw in a forum where someone kept the stock BPV attached and put a small air filter on the end. Although he said it worked for him and looked pretty cool, I do not know if this is a proper thing to do. Sure the typical mechanic Swiss mechanic would not recommend changing a thing (keep it stock), I am not happy with that. By taking sound advice, and researching the aspects of fuel/exhaust for SAABS, I say what the hell. The only thing that will affect me is time and money. Since I have a spare SAAB for parts (bought it for 100 bucks from a tow company) I am not gonna spaz out either way. ~lessons learned don't come cheap

I would like to keep this thread alive, and post my findings.

I appreciate the input from everyone.

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
There is nothing wrong with just venting the stock diveter valve to atmosphere by unpluging it from the return location and pluging that spot up. It also makes no difference if you put a filter on the end of the valve or not.

However as JK and Palmer have said its gonna give you a fit more then likely from doing this.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
What I'm going to try when I get around to it, is leaving the stock valve in place, and using a BOV in addition to that - partial blowoff, partial recirc. Might help...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well, as you can see, there seems to be a consensus on the adverse effects of installing a BOV on the LH2.2 equipped Saabs.

Over the weekend, I installed a FMIC which already had a BOV mounted on the intake IC pipe. So me, being the rebel that I've been for most of my life, simply went against traditional wisdom and hooked it up anyway.

Well, low and behold. It works fabulously. No CEL, no stall, nothing. Nothing but what I wanted in the first place....whooooosssshhhhh!!!!

As with most things in life. Sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't.

Good luck with your BOV install...

Cheers,

Jitters

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Well, as you can see, there seems to be a consensus on the adverse effects of installing a BOV on the LH2.2 equipped Saabs.
For the c900 Turbo LH2.2 was used up through 1988, in 1989 until 1993 they came with LH2.4, which is more picky about this sort of thing.

Most people with LH2.2 can get away with a blow-off valve venting to the air, but the LH2.4 cars have seemingly more difficulty.

I always stuck with recirculating bypass valves on my classic 900s, just slapped on an open air filter, turned up the boost and called it a day.

·
Registered
253 Posts
For the c900 Turbo LH2.2 was used up through 1988, in 1989 until 1993 they came with LH2.4, which is more picky about this sort of thing.

Most people with LH2.2 can get away with a blow-off valve venting to the air, but the LH2.4 cars have seemingly more difficulty.

I always stuck with recirculating bypass valves on my classic 900s, just slapped on an open air filter, turned up the boost and called it a day.
Hey JK,

Thanks for the additional information. From what I've been reading the LH2.2 cars have the AMM which aren't supposed to respond well to the addition of the atmo BOV.

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but from what I've read cars with MAF are less likely to have problems with the addition.

Also, I noticed a weird sound after I installed my open air filter. Is that what they refer to as Turbo flutter?

Cheers,

Jitters

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is nothing wrong with just venting the stock diveter valve to atmosphere by unpluging it from the return location and pluging that spot up. It also makes no difference if you put a filter on the end of the valve or not.

NahumCC,

The return location? are you referring to the inlet on the throttle body? where the hose runs down to the recirc valve?

sorry, throw me a bone please.
thx

ps..i have not received my BOV in the mail yet, so i am tinkering ever so slightly. ~carefully minded of course

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can someone please provide me a reliable source where I can purchase a 3 inch exhaust for my 1990 900 2.0 16v Turbo convertible?
I cannot afford a $600 dollar system. Perhaps something like a Jetex or Walker system? JT stainless or comparable. I would like to get it from the US if possible because I do not agree with the shipping costs from Euro suppliers. If this is the only place to order them, I will do so. Elkparts seems like a good source, but I do not want to wait for a month.
Thank you kindly,

This one looks pretty nice..though it's not a 900.
http://www.ericsaabsite.com/Upgrades/Stage2/3Downpipe.html

AzPitbull

·
Registered
253 Posts
Can someone please provide me a reliable source where I can purchase a 3 inch exhaust for my 1990 900 2.0 16v Turbo convertible?
I cannot afford a $600 dollar system. Perhaps something like a Jetex or Walker system? JT stainless or comparable. I would like to get it from the US if possible because I do not agree with the shipping costs from Euro suppliers. If this is the only place to order them, I will do so. Elkparts seems like a good source, but I do not want to wait for a month.
Thank you kindly,

This one looks pretty nice..though it's not a 900.
http://www.ericsaabsite.com/Upgrades/Stage2/3Downpipe.html

AzPitbull
Good luck Pitbull.

$600 doesn't sound bad if thats for the complete exhaust, including DP. Heck, it costs me $400 to install a 2.5" performance cat back exhaust system five years ago from a local muffler shop.

I'm also interested in the 3" exhaust as well. But will be working with my local Indy dealer to fabricate something for me...

Jitters

1 - 17 of 17 Posts