Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you know I've (CleveSaab at SC) put quite some time in on trying to find an AUX-IN solution. I talked to every company that makes them.
Denison is obviously never going to make one.
PIE won't either.
Of all the companies I talked to only ONE seemed even mildly interested.
That would be BLITZSAFE.
The last email I got from him said he was going to talk to his engineer.
Could ALL of you interested in AUX-IN for the 900/9-3 PLEASE go to http://www.blitzsafe.com and register in thier forum? You'll see a post from me (2SaabFamily) in the BLITZTECH FORUM.
Just add a reply and say something like:
"I'll take one for a *insert car here*!
Thanks!

Joe -1996 900S"

Cool?!?
Let's...well BLITZ 'EM! hehehe

Hoping to get like 20-25 requests in there over this weekend. Would be cool if they walk in Monday to a big poast about it. :)

Remeber to put your car in there, the last 2 didn't.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
There might be some interest over here, depending on a couple of factors:

What's the general price range, based on comparable equipment ?

Would this require a separate unit, or would the company be able to integrate it into the existing wiring, possibly into the hands-free phone wiring?

If the price is over $100, would it make more sense to get a separate aftermarket head unit and free up the DIN space for gauges?

....and V6s still suck! :lol:

Take care!

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I think I answered my own questions:

BlitzSafe News

HOT!!!
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DATE: 12-08-2002

BLITZSAFE WITHHOLDS NEW GM KIT

ENGLEWOOD, N.J. - BlitzSafe has decided not to ship a General Motors radio replacement interface product because of possible liability issues in the event of an airbag deployment. This interface allows the removal of the OEM GM radio to allow the installation of a aftermarket radio.

BlitzSafe's interface, called the GM RRD, is a kit that allows users to remove a GM radio and replace it with an aftermarket product without losing some of the car functions, which are now tied into the GM radio. These functions include OnStar voice communications and chimes for door open, ignition key, safety belt fasten, etc.

BlitzSafe's president Ira Marlowe said the company learned that if an airbag deployed and its GM RRD had a failure and OnStar did not work, then BlitzSafe could be liable. The critical issue is that OnStar automatically contacts the driver when an airbag is deployed and will dispatch an emergency vehicle.

"We don't know if the radio is considered a piece of safety equipment, like an airbag. So now when we talk about integration there's a big question," Marlowes said. "Even if our device works the way it should but then there's a failure and someone's life is on the line and emergency service doesn't get there, what do we do? We're confirming [the liability issue] and if it's true, it's never going to see the market."

BlitzSafe said it invested a year of R&D in the GM RRD, and it was expected to ship in November at $59.

Marlowe noted that the issue might have implications for the entire aftermarket. "Removing a radio in an environment when you have certain warnings and emergency service notification going through the radio, it becomes a tremendous liability. People are going to be reluctant to pull out their radios. And the aftermarket's ability to do this, without what we [integrator companies] do, is then threatened."

In the event of a liability case involving an aftermarket radio, "everyone would be brought in, including the supplier, distributor and the retailer who sold it," he said.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL BLITZSAFE @ 1-800-597-7233(SAFE). WWW.BLITZSAFE.COM

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Boy everyone just loves throwing that article out. ;)
That does NOT apply to the NG900 or the 9-3S/SE.
Onstar is much more integrated into the systems of these newer cars.

Comparable equipment:
Prices can range anywahere from $50-$250.
Denison is the most expensive I've seen. $249.99. Um...no thanks. (They don't make a Saab one yet, but they claim they might. Been claiming that for a LOOOOONG time and at $250, you can keep it.

I really want to keep my stock radio this time around. SE sound system is good enough for me. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts