Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate NG900/OG9-3 headliners. They're all the same damn ugly color and I've been talking about doing something about it for awhile. I just spent about an hour correcting part of the problem which is the ugly colored A-pillar panels.

The things I used to do this:

-1/4 yard of black microsuede from JOANN. Cost about $3.
-LOCTITE Professional Performance Spray Adhesive. A big 13.5oz can was $10

Also bought 1/4 yard of some soft cotton-like padding for 75 cents but I ended up not using it because there was really no reason to.

This really isn't difficult, it's as easy as removing, peeling off the old fabric and rubbing off some of the remaining foam that's stuck to the main area of the pillar, using it to cut out a new piece from the suede, spraying the adhesive onto the bare plastic, and adding the suede. It was a little messy on the first one - I used a little more adhesive than necessary so it soaked the fabric a bit and got on my hands. The passenger side one went by more smoothly.

Without the old, ugly fabric

Rub off some of the remaining crumbly, loose sh!t

Spray

Layover

Apply some to the inside

Reinstall

I don't think I'll mess with the headliner until I'm back in Kansas City over the summer because I'm not in the mood to remove the necessary bits to get to the whole headliner. This was just a start, more than anything out of curiosity. I've never messed with anything upholstery-related and it was kinda fun to do something that doesn't require opening the hood or laptop, for once.

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
I did mine a few years ago too...probably have to redo them at some point since they faded a bit. Definitely an improvement over the stock stuff.

Next on your list should be a steering column swap and a sport wheel!

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
yeah I did the pillars in my aero and now the black suede is uh... purplish black.

the sun faded it. maybe I can refresh the color with some dye rather than do it over again.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I did the pillars in my aero and now the black suede is uh... purplish black.

the sun faded it. maybe I can refresh the color with some dye rather than do it over again.
Guess I better tint my windshield to prevent that :lol:

It was so easy to do that it wouldn't be anything to redo. I was surprised at how little effort it took. I'm guessing the headliner won't go as smoothly... :rolleyes:

And it was probably 40 degrees when I was out there, it actually felt nice. You guys are just all old :cool:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Did exactly the same thing with my 9k, except I used Super77 adhesive and I went ahead and did my headliner too. Still looks awesome 2 years later.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Props to everyone who has done their headliner. Just spent a couple hours working on mine outside in the cold and it was a bitch to do. I think more than anything cause I was freezing and couldn't quite think straight so I kept making stupid errors that would require me to remove things again and readjust. Eff the cold.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In addition to that, in my attempt to get it back in the headliner got bent up a little, somewhat expected, but consequently some of the fabric needs to be sprayed with some more glue cause it's hanging down. Fml, it's hanging now I'll just add the rest of the stuff later.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Sorry, never checked back on this. Yeah the headliner was kind of a PITA, I went through 2 headliner boards, the first one broke trying to get it out of the car. The second creased, but I was able to fix it with fiberglass resin, just enough to stiffen it up a little. If I were to do it again, I would consider putting a decent amount of resin on the back side of the entire headliner to make it even easier to work on, install, and remove again if it ever had to be.

The biggest trick I found was to lay the new fabric over the whole thing, and spray, stretch, and trim as you go. Don't try to cut before you lay it, because it will stretch and screw everything up. If you have any questions shoot me a pm, I'll try to help out. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, never checked back on this. Yeah the headliner was kind of a PITA, I went through 2 headliner boards, the first one broke trying to get it out of the car. The second creased, but I was able to fix it with fiberglass resin, just enough to stiffen it up a little. If I were to do it again, I would consider putting a decent amount of resin on the back side of the entire headliner to make it even easier to work on, install, and remove again if it ever had to be.

The biggest trick I found was to lay the new fabric over the whole thing, and spray, stretch, and trim as you go. Don't try to cut before you lay it, because it will stretch and screw everything up. If you have any questions shoot me a pm, I'll try to help out. Good luck!
Thanks, that's kinda what I did. I cut a really rough shape form the fabric using the old fabric, laid it over and went from one end to the other spraying it. Worked out okay but didn't put enough in the main rear area where it's a bit of a curvature.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.