Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone had any decent pictures of a Saab with a black pearl grille installed? Or if anyone has seen it, how does it look?

What about the meshed grille? Any thoughts on that?

I am trying to decide what to uprade to, the meshed or black pearl grille...

·
Registered
251 Posts
how about a meshed black pearl grill. it really depends on what color car you have. If you have black it would be a tough choice but silver or other light colors i would go mesh. I think it would be cool to buy black pearl grill then put some mesh in it yourself if you had a black car, that would probably be a first

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a matter of fact I do have a black car! Check out my cardomain site. Currently I have a black old style 900 grille on it to match the eyelids. I think a black pearl grille with mesh is a good idea.

Does anyone have instructions on installing mesh to the new 9-3 grilles?

I just want to see some pics of the black pearl grille on a black car, or on any car so I can get an idea of what it will look like. Cause I want my grille to be completely black, like my current grille. And I want it to look like this:

·
Registered
134 Posts
i have a tutorial up in the tutorial section of the site on how to do mesh grills for old 9-3 grills if thats what you want

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone have pics of the black pearl grille on a car?

Also, where is the cheapest place to buy the black pearl grille? I know Taliaferro sells it for $171 and I haven't found cheaper.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
I think taliaferro would be your cheapest bet. I've only seen them go higher in price elsewhere.

·
Registered
251 Posts
well the black pearl grill is the color of the frame. It is a metallic dark frame instead of the chrome one, thats all it is.....so if your gonna paint it black theres no point whatsoever. Im not positive but i think the black pearl isnt even that dark, so painting a regular 9-3 grill to match your paint and putting mesh inside seems to be a better and possibly cheaper option.

·
Registered
134 Posts
so do you want a black grill with the silver mesh or do you want a black grill with black mesh either way whatever you want to do can most likely be done by yourself if you want the grill black take your car to a paint shop so they can get the paint code then give them just the grill and they should be able to paint it at a cheap price then you can add the mesh to the grill go around to a couple body shops see what they say if you tell them you just want the grill painted and how much it will cost it should not be to much thats were i would start or if you think you are a good painter see where you can get the paint and how much it would cost

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I thinks that what I will do then.

I painted my last grille I have on now, and it's peeling lol. I just want it done right. Does anyone know about how much that would cost, just to get the grille painted to match the car?

·
Registered
134 Posts
depends on the shop no way should it be more than 50 around 25 or cheaper should be right shops around here charge about 25 or so just for the grill but it also depends on how much the paint cost just go into places and ask it they could give you and ideal of how much it would cost

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Actually i'd try repainting yours again Rob. Did you use Primer? Primer helps ALOT for making the paint stick.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I used sandable primer first, then painted a black coat over that, then painted a clear coat over that. It lasted for a long time, then started to peel after a bad rain storm on the turnpike :)

I like the new style grilles though, maybe I should just get my current grille repainted by a local paint shop...Good idea...

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE:

I drove over to a paint and body shop to get a quote to paint my current grille to match the color of the car, and they quoted me $100 since there is so much prep work with chrome. So he gave me some pointers to get the primer to better "stick" to the chrome, since that is the problem I had when I painted it last, it just peeled...

Any thoughts on how to paint over the chrome?

What I did is buy 120, 180 and 320 grit sand paper to sand all over the grille to get it really "scratched" up so the primer would adhere better. I actually bought Adhesion Promoter for my primer, it states that it should be able to stick better to plastics and such much better than regular primer.

I also wanted to add mesh to this grille, since I have the two pieces taken apart right now, but I'm too lazy to go buy some mesh and figure out how I want to stick it in there. I was thinking of buying some chrome automotive weathering strips sold at pep boys and just place them over each section on the grille. Someone is selling those on ebay right now for like 25 bucks. What a rip...Any thought?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I acually painted and put mesh in my grill.
I sanded and primed and painted and added mesh in the middle and this is what it looks like.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That looks sweet!

I am in the process right now of painting mine. I have the older style grille, so I think it's harder to add mesh :(

I'll take pics once I get everything completed, waiting for paint to dry right now before top coat...

·
Registered
251 Posts
that looks damn good, i got a silver car so i left my grill chrome and just put mesh in it.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
i just meshed my grill last weekend

it took me two tries, but the mesh was $0.99US a sheet, so no biggie

and on the car

1 - 20 of 25 Posts