Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On a diaper run for the twins this afternoon and on the way back a very large bird flew up out of the right ditch and hit the 9-5. I was going about 65 mph or so... Had to have been a turkey buzzard. Thing was HUGE...

Damned thing flew up and over and landed behind me and in front of the minivan following me...

F-ing birds...

Despite the rather loud bang, relatively little damage, I suppose. Knocked out the passenger side grill. I have NO idea what that yellow stuff is...

More of that crap on the headlight, and you can see the turn signal is a bit cracked...

Chrome surround is gone, but I still have the grill. Shoved right back into the fascia...

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Wow, glad it didn't impact your windshield and all (except for Mr Bird) seems ok.

Way to bring 'er down easy, Sully!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Buzzard or common Turkey Vulture (or a black vulture .. does not have that red around the eye) has only one line of defense.

They vomit when frightened but that could also be shit.

An old ag pilot started screaming at me one day when I was about to fly 500' under a circling vulture. He said they get frightened and fold their wings to drop like a stone while vomiting. Then they go through the prop and you have a real mess.

I had a wild turkey fill my windshield a few years ago. He too came out of a ditch and lucky for me, up and over the car.

I honestly feel that Saabs are more prone to hits versus "up and overs" and have creamed like about 3 birds in the last few months and 1 with my wifes 9-3 too. With my Volvo, they always went over the car?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heh, it does look like a jet intake, eh?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buzzard or common Turkey Vulture (or a black vulture .. does not have that red around the eye) has only one line of defense.

They vomit when frightened but that could also be shit.

An old ag pilot started screaming at me one day when I was about to fly 500' under a circling vulture. He said they get frightened and fold their wings to drop like a stone while vomiting. Then they go through the prop and you have a real mess.

I had a wild turkey fill my windshield a few years ago. He too came out of a ditch and lucky for me, up and over the car.

I honestly feel that Saabs are more prone to hits versus "up and overs" and have creamed like about 3 birds in the last few months and 1 with my wifes 9-3 too. With my Volvo, they always went over the car?
Yeah, I know. I flew sailplanes in a much younger life. We actually would seek out circling buzzards: We knew that's where the thermals were... :-D When your most efficient speed for lift was around 55 knots, and the only noise we made was the wind over the wings, the buzzards tollerated us and let us circle with them...

·
Registered
369 Posts
You too? :D Some of the best moments in my life have happened in the quiet of a clunky old 2-33.

Having a hawk during migration time go past you in a thermal like you were a stone.

And those ugly buzzards are masters at flight and really beautiful aloft. I am amazed at how they can "milk" even the "ridge lift" from my house and over to the next house while staying aloft. On the ground, butt ugly but in the air something to behold. I think they are the most efficient in the "lower niche".

So did they fold wings and drop like stones when you got close?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You too? :D Some of the best moments in my life have happened in the quiet of a clunky old 2-33.

Having a hawk during migration time go past you in a thermal like you were a stone.

And those ugly buzzards are masters at flight and really beautiful aloft. I am amazed at how they can "milk" even the "ridge lift" from my house and over to the next house while staying aloft. On the ground, butt ugly but in the air something to behold. I think they are the most efficient in the "lower niche".

So did they fold wings and drop like stones when you got close?
Yep! 2-33's and 1-26's! Got my ticket at 15. Then went to college, got married, yadda yadda. Just never kept up with it. ;_( Ah, well. Still fly the models when I can.

For some reason we get about six buzzards perching on the roof of my house (highest point in the neighborhood...) Got buzzard shit running down a 45 pitch roof. REALLY give the house curb appeal.... :rolleyes:

I may have that grill in good shape I will check the garage for ya...

Good your windshield did not take the brunt of it that coudla been scary
Sweet! Let me know how much. Very much obliged!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Birds are one thing. 25 lb buzzards are missles...

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
You didn't stop and throw it in the trunk to release in some desolate part of PA?
I think DeLorean's intentions were to gift it to his hunter sort pops who was going to cook it - and it was a Guinea Hen I believe. And I would not call Wyncote PA desolate :)

And yes - birds suck, couldn't imagine nailing a 20+lbs bird with my car... I hit a small ren once with my VW Fox - bird got lodge in the grill and there were feathers everywhere!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
About 15 years ago I hit a wild turkey in my 900S. $400 in damage: busted headlight, grill, dented hood. I distinctly recall seeing the head land on the hood, the neck snapping, then what looked like a feathered soccer ball rolling into the ditch.

Two Saabs, two dead, very large birds. I guess I can console myself in that it wasn't an ostrich...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts