Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting back into competitive cycling now that I joined a local Triathlete Team which means that I need to get my bike back into competitive shape. I will be doing a fair number of XC and light trail races, mostly on hardpack with a bit of loose surface occassionally so I am looking for a semi-slick tire to replace my bald and now discontinued Maxxis Wormdrives.

My main choice right now are the Maxxis Maxxlight 310XC because weight is very important and low rolling resistance is a must with some pavement duty in the forecast as well.

Are there any other light semi-slicks anyone can recommend?

I also will be getting a American Classic 26 Disc or a Spinergy Xyclone Disc wheel set to get rid of some rotational mass along with an Avid BB7 disc out back to compliment my Formula Oro K24 in front. Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Many people out here use Kenda Small Block 8's on our hard pack double track/dirt roads, be it in competition or not. I've used a few different Maxxis semi slicks or VERY low tread tires (the names elude me at the moment) and they were great, just awkward handling due to me choosing them a little skinny with a 1.90 width :eek:. If I need anything under a 2.0, I've just been taking the CX bike out as of late.

American Classic has great customer service, in case you need it. Haven't really heard anything positive, or at all, about Spinergy in the past 10 years or so.

I'm sure others will chime in.

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
I'm not sure how the Spinergy mtb wheels are, but I've got Xaeros w/the PBO spokes on my road bike and they're awesome. Light, comfy, fast....

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Real MTB'rs don't look at anything under 2.4" width.

j/k

A popular choice around here for hardpack is the WTB Vulpine.

I've been intrigued by the WTB Weirwolf LT. Has all the advantages of a bigger casing/volume (faster rolling/better grip over things) but a low profile tread.

I run the Maxxis Ardent 2.4. Way too much tire for weenie terrain :p.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
& to think my first little triathalon thingy (6mi canoe, 6mi run 8mi bike) I took my Iron Horse MKIII trail full suspension mountain bike to the race. I didn't run for over a month before & have 2.5's on the back, I sounded like a jeep with mud tires going down the road........ not going to make that mistake again, I will buy slicks next time.

A friend in CA has a shop, he does the iron man competitions. I can try to get you his info incase you want to see if he has anything for you.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Gotta get out of on the road... doing the Carpenteria Tri in 2 weeks. I run Specialized Pro Mondo II (for training and racing currently). If you do any road races, I can give you a wealth of info.

I actually just picked up an old F1000 Cannondale Cad3 for $160. I think it's lighter than my road bike (kind of insane for something from 1996). I might try doing a couple xc tris this fall, along with some offroad events. Can't give you any advise for off road tires (I have a roommate who mountain bikes, I'll ask him when he gets back into town). Might have to break out the MTB at the saab events...

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many people out here use Kenda Small Block 8's on our hard pack double track/dirt roads, be it in competition or not. I've used a few different Maxxis semi slicks or VERY low tread tires (the names elude me at the moment) and they were great, just awkward handling due to me choosing them a little skinny with a 1.90 width :eek:. If I need anything under a 2.0, I've just been taking the CX bike out as of late.

American Classic has great customer service, in case you need it. Haven't really heard anything positive, or at all, about Spinergy in the past 10 years or so.

I'm sure others will chime in.
I have been racing on my 26x1.9 Maxxis Wormdrives for a while and am used to the skinny tire handling but they are too slick for what I am going to be riding. I am up in the air about the wheelset at the moment, but the Spinergy set is only 100 grams heavier than the American Classics and they are 2/3 of the price. I have only read favorable things on them as well.

I'm not sure how the Spinergy mtb wheels are, but I've got Xaeros w/the PBO spokes on my road bike and they're awesome. Light, comfy, fast....
Nice, I might look into getting a road wheelset for pavement events and will look at the Xaeros!

Real MTB'rs don't look at anything under 2.4" width.

j/k

A popular choice around here for hardpack is the WTB Vulpine.

I've been intrigued by the WTB Weirwolf LT. Has all the advantages of a bigger casing/volume (faster rolling/better grip over things) but a low profile tread.

I run the Maxxis Ardent 2.4. Way too much tire for weenie terrain :p.
I will look into the Vulpines, and very funny about the tire size... The bigger the tire you have, the more you are compensating. ;)

The Ardent is one beastly tire! I don't even think it would fit in my seat stays on my frame lol.

& to think my first little triathalon thingy (6mi canoe, 6mi run 8mi bike) I took my Iron Horse MKIII trail full suspension mountain bike to the race. I didn't run for over a month before & have 2.5's on the back, I sounded like a jeep with mud tires going down the road........ not going to make that mistake again, I will buy slicks next time.

A friend in CA has a shop, he does the iron man competitions. I can try to get you his info incase you want to see if he has anything for you.
That would be awesome GM, information never hurts for sure. I will probably be the only person out there with a XC bike in the triathlon but I used to do plenty of long distance bike races with my mountain bike and would generally finish in the top ten. I got burned out so I restarted this summer and still have a ways to go before I reach my previous level.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I will look into the Vulpines, and very funny about the tire size... The bigger the tire you have, the more you are compensating. ;)

The Ardent is one beastly tire! I don't even think it would fit in my seat stays on my frame lol.
Heh heh...2.35/2.4 is the max my Dawg can handle in the rear...it's REALLY close with the Ardent.

Skinny tires just don't work on fast, steep, techy terrain we have around here, but you pay some on the smoother climbs....I just tell myself that it makes me stronger as I puff up a smooth climb.

But for what you want, a 1.9 sounds perfect, no sense dragging more tread than you need!

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking about keeping my current wheel set and throwing some more aggressively designed tires on those for when I need to tackle more technical stuff but all the trails through Malibu Canyon Park (amazing) are mostly dry and hardpack with some rocks but not much in the way of loose surface.

If I need a bit extra, I can always air down slightly. Speaking of which, I really can't decide if I should go tubeless or not?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Go tubeless....less weight, and I've never gotten a flat - you can even run them at a lower pressure if you need/want to. I run Kenda Nevegal on my XC bike ('10 Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, and my '08 Cannondale Judge). If I could run a set of tubeless on my road bike ('10 Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod DI2) I would.

If I need a bit extra, I can always air down slightly. Speaking of which, I really can't decide if I should go tubeless or not?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Go tubeless....
Stan's can do everything. We have a few customers that even use it as baby formula*.

I used to run tubeless in high school mainly for winter/mud riding at low pressure. The past 4 years or so I've ran about 28 psi on tubes with no issue, but that luck won't last forever. I'm not sure why I personally haven't switched over again yet, come to think of it... Currently running 2.1 Maxxis CrossMark- good all around tire for XC.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I run Stan's on my Dawg (31mm rims). I'll never use tubes again. Ever.
I ran 18 psi the other day. Try that on techy terrain with tubes and you'll be stopping every quarter mile.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts