Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know you can use OBD 2 reader but those go for 100$, I remeber reading an article some place of making ur own OBD 2 reader to USB conection that will let u read all the codes...but I seemingly cant find it anymroe :mad: If any anyone knows a link could u share it with me? as well whats the best OBD 2 reader to have. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I have an OPCOM I bought off e-bay last year for UNDER $50 shipped. Works fine - it's a Lap Top based Code Reader. Works on MOST Saab's so far. Does Engine and Trans codes only however - but you can clear. Otherwise a company called LAUNCH makes some good products too. I have their "black box" device which is for intermitent CEL's and it stores all the engine data which you can collect on the desktop. That was about $50 3 years ago.

See thread; http://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43051

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Go to autozone, they scan codes for free if you don't want to pay for a reader.

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Yeah - you could do that if you like stealing and helping people starve....
Hmm, I didn't know buying Chinese electronics from eBay was promoting feeding the homeless.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Hmm, I didn't know buying Chinese electronics from eBay was promoting feeding the homeless.
well THAT could be - but I was referring to the fact that places which "pull codes for free" are depriving legitimate business of business and diagnosing the repairs properly as well as getting the cars fixed correctly. The "free code" shit is really annoying to a business b/c all the store wants is you to buy w/e part the scanner says is "bad" even if it's not the problem. It's just irritating. I understand from the customer stand point as well about the cost of some things - but I'm not just talking dealerships here. /rant

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
well THAT could be - but I was referring to the fact that places which "pull codes for free" are depriving legitimate business of business and diagnosing the repairs properly as well as getting the cars fixed correctly. The "free code" shit is really annoying to a business b/c all the store wants is you to buy w/e part the scanner says is "bad" even if it's not the problem. It's just irritating. I understand from the customer stand point as well about the cost of some things - but I'm not just talking dealerships here. /rant
Relax.

Its not depriving a legitimate business like a dealership, at all. The OP and I would probably just use the service to get codes so I can fix it myself.

However, I own a code reader and do it myself anyways. Wouldn't wanting to get a code reader in general piss you off because then the dealer isn't getting to diagnose you?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
My concern is more the ma' & pop business - the small guys who need the business are the ones losing out to the commercial parts stores who provide this service for nothing. In turn it's allowing some people who should NOT be allowed to attempt repairs themselves a chance to really screw things up - and then they go to the shop and they get upset at the tech for telling them what's really wrong with it. That's were the frustration comes from. Do you comprehend that at all saabeh? It's not at all how you think - it's more of a real world thing here. Those who know how to fix their own shit are not included in this - those people have more common sense then the average person looking for something for nothing.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
There was just a discussion about this on one of the tech boards that I read.

It stems from lots and lots of people showing up with Bosch Platinum plugs in the coil-on-plug European cars with a CEL still lit, telling me that 'The Autozone guy says I needed this oxygen sensor, can you install it for me?'

They make a lot of their money helping with the 'free diagnosis' then upselling un-needed (and incorrect) parts.

There are 5 techs at my shop, we don't move a ton of cars, and we don't charge for a fair bit of diagnostic work either, and yet my customers still come in with oil drain plugs stripped out from Jiffy Lube or carrying a box of Champion plugs because they think the Bosch PFR-'s are waaaayyyy too expensive.

Just tell me that, I will be happy to tell you where you can buy the right parts online if you need to save the money and then bring them back.

Drew

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Also,

Autozone and the other stores use the super cheapy universal code readers which will give some mis-information as to the code description for some particularly involved cars, like Volvo's, and Merc's and the new SAAB's, because in addition to the 5-digit Pxxxx fault code number most of the new cars have modifiers after the main code, like P1234 (56) which give you more info about the fault generated and why.

In the Volvos that can come up as a throttle body code, but the modifier is what tells you if the servo is just sluggish (dirty), blocked, or signal missing all-together.

Almost any of the generic readers will read your '99 fine, by the way.

Drew

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sigh...if u guys wanna discuss problems about coroporat and mom and pop shops do it in off topic...get back on topic.

@BurnSide42. Thanks for the link. does that launch black box (and could u give me a link to it) collect live data for review later? For example if I clear codes and then drive with it will record when the error code pops up and other info like speed and temp of the car at same time? I wanto track down an engine code on my mom 02 9-3 and I think Live Data could help me out to figure out what happens >.> . I dont mind paying 200$ for a good OBD2 reader as it can help out a ton, but if can get something for less and it will do just as much I will just go the cheaper rout.

@Saabeh. I would like to have something to diagones problems without having to drive to autozone or other place where I will have to say 5-10 times not to parts they will try to sell me >.<

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
I bought a $150 code reader and never looked back. The only codes it cannot pin point are some TB related ones I just got. But after a quick search on TSL all is figured out.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
LAUNCH C-Recorder - it's UNDER $80 list - new version is coming soon. Yes - it records ALL engine data specs 5 frames before - at time of CEL - and 5 frames after. Works well for those CEL that come and go - and do not leave a history code. Note: it works on 1999 9-3, 2001 9-5, 2000 9-3 and such - have NOT tried on 2003+ Saab's with CanDI networks. I know it does NOT work with 1998 Saturn SL2's for some reason.

shopping results/info:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=e...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CD4QrQQwBA

Manufactuer Web Site: http://www.crecorder.com/website/index.do?method=welcome

The CReaderV I have always wanted to try out on a Saab - I was going to buy one if I knew it worked well... it's under $200

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Looks very intresting. Im pretty sure the CReaderV will work well on everthing for that price tag...If I can get one used for 150$ i might pick it up..but the otherone is going to go into my moms car as she has been having wiard stalls....maybet it will tell me whats up maybe not...

actualy.. under a 100$
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...Z300466390788QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

i might pick it up...looks very nice..time to go read some reviews..
wow no reviews for it o_O strange...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm dealing with a check-engine light warning relating to an O2 sensor heater wire, but I can't figure out if it's the upstream or downstream sensor, so I needed to figure this OBD thing out. Here is the solution that I have come up with for diagnosing OBD2 codes from your Saab. I am buying components right now, will let you know how it works out.

This solution uses a Motorola Droid 2 phone. Any Android V2.0+ phone should work just fine, and there's probably an iPhone version of the software (Torque, below) available as well, though I have not checked myself.

My OBD2 reader (which connects to the car, and to the phone by Bluetooth linkup): ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner. $45.

My OBD Diagnostic software: Torque, for Android. Can be found in Android Marketplace from the phone. Free ad-supported and paid versions available. Website: Torque - OBD2 Performance and Diagnostics for your Vehicle. Max $5.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here's an image of the Bluetooth ELM 327 OBDII module.

I wonder if this device could be used to stream music to the head. Hmm...
I just received this Bluetooth ELM 327 OBDII module. It works like a champ. I plugged it into the connector beneath the steering wheel column, paired the module to my Droid2 phone, ran the Torque software, and that was pretty much it. The software is able to sense a bunch of stuff from the ECU - engine RPMs, velocity, acceleration (I think in all 3 axes), fault codes, and lots else that I haven't even begun to work out. This seems a pretty good solution to me, and sure beats paying several thousand for the dealer OBD2 module.

Now I just have to decide what to do about this P0130 fault code...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Be warned when using these OBD2 sensors to reset and clear any fault codes. If you're diagnosing or clearing fault codes for the purpose of passing a smog test, the smog readers can detect if the fault code logs have been cleared recently. Unless you've successfully completed an OBD2 Drive Cycle and your readiness indicators have all been set to "completed" status, you will fail the smog test, regardless of whether or not your vehicle is committing smog emissions violations.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup. I have to do that to my mom's 02 9-3 an engine light that cant be fixed...only reason it fails the smog test, reset it drove for 30 miles passed smog...suprisingly, can OBD2 readres display if the car has went through all the tests or not?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yup. I have to do that to my mom's 02 9-3 an engine light that cant be fixed...only reason it fails the smog test, reset it drove for 30 miles passed smog...surprisingly, can OBD2 readres display if the car has went through all the tests or not?
CEL (Check Engine Light) indicates that there's some kind of problem with emissions-related components (which includes just about the entire engine) which should be fixable. CEL itself is not the problem - I don't know if that's what you meant. In other words, clearing the error code from the OBD2 computer will merely temporarily clear the fault. It should eventually reappear, unless it was some kind of fluke - and I've seen flukes as well. Or it could be a very temporary fault, like a low coolant level that leads to a P0125 (engine taking too long to heat up), that can be quickly resolved.

You can clear the OBD2 drive cycle in such a short drive if you happen to get lucky and hit all the required tests, or if you know precisely what the requirements are. It usually takes a solid 24 hours and a few trips that get you on the freeway. All my OBD2 drive cycle readiness indicators were cleared within 24 hours of a fault code reset.

What do you mean by "readres"? If I understand your question correctly - the CEL will not go off unless you manually clear the fault from the OBD2 computer with such a device as I have detailed on this thread, or a technician does it for you with their OBD2 diagnostic device. Clearing the drive cycle does not affect the CEL state, though it will clear the "readiness monitors" for the sensors, the states of which are indeed stored in the OBD2 computer, and cannot be modified by OBD2 diagnostic devices (as far as I know).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts