Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hey, I got the turbo back JT 3" exhaust. I like it a lot for the sound. Its not loud at idle but at full throttle it gives a nice tough turbo sound.

Though the look of the exhaust is not the best looking, its just like regular exhaust piping color(not chrome or black) and it doesn't come with a tip.
I spray painted mine black, just because i don't like to have it noticed.

And i did fell a power gain when i first put it on with just the exhaust and intake, but now with more mods, i fell a much better gain in hp, also the note of the exhaust got a little louder at full throttle

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have the saab 9-3 stainless steel sport exhaust which gives a 7-10 hp gain I really love the sound as well when the turbo kicks in it really comes to life but is not an excessive loud it has a nice krisp sound to it i have had alot of complements on the sound as well and it fits up nicely under the car and comes with a couple differnt tips

·
Registered
251 Posts
If i were you i would just go to an exhaust shop and have one fabricated. It should cost less and u can make it sound however you want. I got the BSR 2.5'' catback and its nice but i wanted a little more sound....it basically sounds stock till 4k rpm. I dont like it extremely loud but i want a nice tone at idle. i dont think it was worth the 10 - 15 claimed hp or whatever it is for the price. The T7 doesnt let you gain peak power, it only lets u have gains over the powerband.....thats why u need to get an exhaust intake and chip all at once.....just my 2 cents, Will

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
What muffler would work best with a custom 3" cat back?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Im not sure, i forget which kind but some are better than others for turbo application. It totally depends on the shop you go to as well. You should ask around and see what people have used on their setups, im sure some people with saabs have used various kinds of mufflers. I do know SaabSavior uses MagnaFlow. Im sure anything would work well, just find people who have them.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hey, here is a picture of my JT 3" exhaust. I painted it black because i like the way it looks better.

If you want to do a custom setup. I suggest using a round muffler. Here is an example, not really a good picture, but you get the idea. I know magnaflow sells a 3" inlet and outlet chrome muffler, then you have to extend the tip out. This way would cost you less money

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
i went for SpeedParts catback exhaust from Taliaferro and it sounds increadible!! i am soon adding the JT 3" downpipe...cant wait to hear that!

·
Registered
52 Posts
non said:
.... what is the absolute best exhaust?
The best exhaust is the one that has a big 3" downpipe. The effect of a big downpipe is very much underestimated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a full 3'' system on my 9000... it's an excellent, good value system - nice sound good performance. The tail pipe looks nice on the 9000, but horrible on the ng900.

On my 9-3 I've got the viggen backbox, which is actually the "European Saab sports exhaust"- made by Remus in Germany - thats the thick oval one with the stainless steel trim...

I've heard the " USA Saab Sports Exhaust" (available from dealers and most saab aftermarket people), and with a race cat on there.. it sounds awesome! - thats the more circular looking single tail pipe with 'SAAB' imprinted on it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
marka said:
...looks nice on the 9000, but horrible on the ng900.
You're right about that!
A custom exhaust shop can make you a cleaner looking endtip though.

Here's a picture of the 3"JT on a NG900.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Custom

You could always go with the custom exhaust setup. As of now, I just have an aftermarket performance muffler on there, but it sounds great! Not too ricey, perfect deep moan groan that I love. Installation was a pain, and still needs work, I am currently just using a hanging strap, since welding exhaust mufflers is illegal in PA. Atleast that's what every dealership has told me, and some of my mechanic friends. I think I might just get a welder to weld two handles on the muffler, so I can use the existing hanger hooks. Check it out:

Also, I wouldn't recommend using a round muffler for custom setups, since the hooks under the car will make the muffler sit further down and will look pretty bad. My muffler is an oval muffler, and it sits nicely up in the bumper (see below). I dunno what I will do when it comes time to get the body kit :D

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
updates 6 years late...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the saab sport 2.5" with the GS 3" DP. It sounds great, but to be honest if I were to do it again I would just have a custom one set up for me and do a full 3"

I may even want to sell the one I have now so PM me if you're interseted. To be clear Im not sure I want to sell it, Im just thinking about it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts