Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm replacing the shocks/springs on my '99 9-3, and have sifted through countless threads on here regarding Koni, Bilstein, KYB, OEM Viggen, Vogtland, etc. for ideas. What are your thoughts? Is there a respectable shock/spring combo that would stiffen things up a bit and drop the car for $300-$500? The car is a daily driver (almost Stage 3) sitting on 225/40/18 tires.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
spend the money, get koni's

viggen springs make it ride like crap compared to koni

It seems like I scrape less with koni suspension vs stock viggen suspension & it rides & handles much better

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's actually more then I paid for my set new :)
If only my time machine was working properly...

The Koni kit is worth the $$$, it will last a long time
I'm sure it's a great investment! Maybe I should rephrase my question: Is there an alternative to the Koni kit that would provide a nice drop and upgrade for an eleven-year old car with over 120,XXX miles that will likely be in my possession no longer than 2-3 more years?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
If only my time machine was working properly...

I'm sure it's a great investment! Maybe I should rephrase my question: Is there an alternative to the Koni kit that would provide a nice drop and upgrade for an eleven-year old car with over 120,XXX miles that will likely be in my possession no longer than 2-3 more years?
No.
But if you must, you could use just the springs with stock shocks or cheap replacements.
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/...d=367&osCsid=cb9ec0901c5f466396c32f0a5d6d67f9

If it was a mass produced car that everyone and their brother owned... Sure.

Think of it this way, do you want to enjoy the ride for the next 2-3 years? Or do you want to be happy for a few months then pissed when you want to spend the money to buy the koni kit and do it right the second time?

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/...d=274&osCsid=cb9ec0901c5f466396c32f0a5d6d67f9
May be able to find it cheaper by searching around.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I can tell you that even though I'm very happy with the stance of my car on Vogtlands with KYBs, after living with it in daily practice for the past few months, I wish I had just waited and done the quality components.

The good news is that I only drive it when I'm in a sporting mood which amounts to about 2.5K miles a year.

D-

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess I'm going to bite the bullet and get the Koni sport kit. Hopefully someplace actually has it in stock and can get it to me before the weekend. That is, unless there's a slightly used set out there available for purchase... ;)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
try genuinesaab, if I recall they are a koni distributor??? your best chance of having them in stock & also getting the best price

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
try genuinesaab, if I recall they are a koni distributor??? your best chance of having them in stock & also getting the best price
Yeah, I'd really prefer to give Nick the business, but for some reason there's a handful of places online that have the kit for $100 less. :?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts