Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What primaries are u guys running in your 4 spd's. I have a 76 chillcast 4spd that I replaced the iron pinion bearing housing with chillcast and now want to mate my 5 spd primaries. I have #5-#7 primaries and am looking for 70-75mph @3500rpm in 4th gear (just a initial target). This will be mated to a 2.1L and put into a 88.

I have access to 2-3 more chillcast housings.

Cheers,

pierre

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
For a street car with a big turbo the 7's. Best highway revs, best MPG, quieter, least torque makes it into the main gearsets.

For something you're going to compete with, it will depend on what speed range and power you need.

A low-medium output N/A car for hillclimbs or Rally-X or something like that where you won't see much more than 100-110mph the 5's might be really nice, will tighten things up and get the power down.

Ditto on checking out some of the gear charts, depends on what pinion ratio you end up with too.

Drew

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Nate and DrewP.

From the info provided in SAABRally, I'm going with the #6. If this set does not work, then the primaries are easy to interchange as my year has the snap ring and not the peened nut, to secure the primaries to the input shaft.

Cheers,

pierre

1 - 4 of 4 Posts