Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my car back from the dealer, they checked out my rear axle. The reason is because the rear of the car sits so the rear tires angle inwards and basically wear down the insides of my tires really quick. My dealership outside Philadelphia said I needed a new rear axle and that would fix it right up, and I told them to order it, but it didn't get there in enough time before I had to head back to school. So I took it to my local Saab dealer up here,and they are saying that the reason for the angle is that there is a problem with the rear casters and I need to take it to a specialized frame shop that can basically bend the rear axle frame and that will fix my problem.

If anyone is curious, I have had this problem since I made a sharp turn onto a street and ran over a 3 foot high curb (exagerating a little :) ) on my rear right wheel. I have noticed the bent axle ever since, and the tire damage leads me to buy new tires rather quickly...

Has anyone run across this problem? How much do you think it will cost for this kind of work?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE!

The frame repair shop said there is nothing they can do. It's all in the rear axle. Apparently the arm on the right rear that holds the tire on is bent in. So they gave me two choices, buy a new rear axle, or get a shim kit. They gave me the name of a shop nearby where I can get a shim kit done. So I got it in for tomorrow, should be $150 or so the guy said. Does anyone have a shim kit on their car? Has anyone heard of these for a Saab? I would probably be better off getting a new rear axle huh...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts