Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Unfortunately I ran across some problems since I stored my Viggen back in November. The first time I started it up, sometime mid December, it idled for a couple minutes then cut off immediately. Because I didn't hear anything to alarming I cranked it over one time, then realized something wasn't right. I opened the hood, got the flash light out, and immediately noticed the belt was off the upper idler pulley.

Since then I haven't had the time to really investigate the issue. I'm just trying to get an idea what to look for when I do get to it, which should be within a week. This is my first time looking over the serpentine belt tensioner, tensioner bolt and pulleys. Any helpful hints or tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Odds are that the idler pulley was on its way out before you parked it and decided to let go now...which is extremely lucky.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yep do the idler pulley and new belt and you'll be good

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I would also check out the belt and see if it didn't break. Did anyone take off the belt or chance a rodent got to it?

There should be a guide on the car fender or on this site to see the belt path. Use a long 1/2" socket extension on the tensioner at the rear of the block to put the belt back on.

Look for the examples on how to put the tensioner/pulley on. I also would double check that the one of the pulleys in the middle of the block didn't throw a bearing.

·
Registered
593 Posts
As long as the belt is off, spin each pulley by hand.
This.

If your idler isn't bad, you likely have a bad bearing in another accessory that is either loose enough to let the belt unmount, or it seized for a moment then let go abruptly, throwing some slack into the belt and letting it derail.

Either way, check all the pulleys and bearings.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I'd grab a new belt anyway, as that one likely got gouged up when it got thrown and crammed in there.

Edit: Now that I took a closer look at your pics I definitely see the chewed up idler pulley.

This.

If your idler isn't bad, you likely have a bad bearing in another accessory that is either loose enough to let the belt unmount, or it seized for a moment then let go abruptly, throwing some slack into the belt and letting it derail.

Either way, check all the pulleys and bearings.
Thanks for providing the actual detail to my statement that I was too lazy to type before. :thumbup:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys! I'm just really glad this didn't happen when I was driving. I'll have a much better idea on what to look for now. Most likely will replace as much stuff as I can in the belt/pulley region. I'm not sure who or when anything was replaced in the past.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts