Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1989 Saab 900 Turbo has been sitting for 6 years now. I remember putting in the battery at one point, and noticing a whiff of smoke coming up from what I think was the wire to the starter solenoid. I'm wondering if I had the battery in backwards, as the starter needed replacing, and now the fuel pump as well, and not sure at this point what will be next. Car not running as yet; engine turns over, but ran when it was parked.

What further damage might I expect if I did in fact have the terminals reversed? How to check....?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Id be checking in the fuse/relay box first and using your nose to guide you . Ive just rewired a significant part of my car and a good keen nose is very usefull ! Alternator diodes ignition and fuel relays may have been damaged .Are you sure the pump needs replacing ? Have you checked the fuel pump relays ? Hopefully the ecu is okay. The smell should be quite acrid in a car that old. By the way you would not alone in doing this . He he .

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I just did this on my race bike. Smoked like an MF and burned a bunch of insulation off of small ground wires. Bad day. I am going to replace some wiring, but everything works OK.

Granted, a 600cc racebike has way less wiring than an 89 Saab.

·
Registered
906 Posts
1989 Saab 900 Turbo has been sitting for 6 years now. I remember putting in the battery at one point, and noticing a whiff of smoke coming up from what I think was the wire to the starter solenoid. I'm wondering if I had the battery in backwards, as the starter needed replacing, and now the fuel pump as well, and not sure at this point what will be next. Car not running as yet; engine turns over, but ran when it was parked.

What further damage might I expect if I did in fact have the terminals reversed? How to check....?
The vert I am currently restoring came to me with this exact issue. PO son replaced the battery (tried to anyway) and crossed the terminals. Fried everything back to the ECU, alternator, and starter were toast.

It took me 8 weeks a hellified service regimine and an additonal 2 weeks at the indy guy to get it sorted and driving. My pocket was light about $1,000 from parts and service fees.

What you did can be a very messy clean up. Hopefully you got lucky and just fried the diodes in your alternator, but i would expect the worst and pray for the best...

Everything elctrical should be looked after... Sorry but it doesnt really get any easier tha that; crossing battery terminals is very very messy..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts