Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car developed a problem where the battery drains in a very, very short time. Like, I could jump start and drive around for a half hour, come back to the car to start it ten minutes later, and not enough juice to do it. I think it has to be a bad battery, because anything that could drain it that quickly would have to blow a fuse, I would think. I also don't have time to drive around for an hour to get enough charge on it to see if there's a parasitic drain. But I really don't think that's it.

So, I'm going to go get it tested, but as far as what my question is, could a battery situation like this cause the car to not want to start, even when using a jump box? I ask because like 3 times in the last week I've gone to use the jump box on it, and it will crank and crank but not start, but then be fine the next time I go to start it with the box. Could this be something where there is just no voltage at all in the battery, and the voltage from the jump box does not make the ignition system happy? If not I have a whole nother fish to fry.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's about three years old. The thing is a few weeks ago I ran the car home with the jump box hooked up to the battery (was stranded with a dead battery and alternator issue), which I knew at the time would not be good for it. That may have done it.

I also realized I have not checked the water level.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I recently had an issue where the alternator was causing a short and draining the battery overnight. It eventually (over a short time) escalated to draining in minutes. I even had a freshly charged, brand new battery drain in short order as you had. I was getting normal voltage and had no reason to suspect the alternator until right at the end, where it stalled while waiting in line to cross the boarder back into the U.S. from Canada. I had a spare and changed the alternator out right there 100 feet in front of the boarder crossing huts. Haven't had a problem since. FWIW, my grounds from the alternator to the engine were fine and I've always had them doubled as extra precaution (One to the alternator mounting bolt as noremal, second one to the throttle body and then on to the inner fender). This problem was not obvious in terms of diagnosing it. Through normal checks the alternator appeared to be performing normally.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts