Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help!!!!

OK, I topped off the levels in the battery, charged the car for a couple of hours. It did start but after 15 - 30 mins., the car stalled and battery was dead, nothing not even clicking.

I charged it again and started it, this time I removed the - cable fron the battery and the car went dead.

Does this mean my alternator is bad? Is it possible the voltage regulator is bad? How can I check to see if it is a bad battery, altenator or [email protected]#$%$#@#

One other thing. Does anyone know how to determine the radio code. The radio will not work without me entering the code.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
just go buy another battery - if it works it was your battery for the starting problems - if not, then there are procedures you can do if you have a Multi Meter. As for the Radio - you must pull it out (real easy if you have the tool) and take it to a local Saab Dealer and ask them to get you the code (there's a Serial # on the side of the stereo) and within a minute they will tell you the code. 90% of the time this is free - however there's been cases's where a dealer TRYS to get money for this free task. Also ask them HOW to enter the code if you've never done it - and be sure to write the code down somwhere you can't lose it. Use a sharpie marker and write it inside your glovebox - can't lose it that way.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
If the car started but then died after you charged the battery, then it is very possible that your alternator is shot. The alternator is what keeps your car on after its started, and charges back up your battery. If its shot, then your car won't stay on, and the battery won't stay charged.

If you can get the car to an automotive shop, they should be able to check the alternator and the battery.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
or if you have a multi meter and can get the car jump started you can check to see what the charging is - if any -
Battery should be 12.6v if good just sitting
Charge rate should be 12 - 14 volts
if it's less then 11Volts chargin - then the alt is bad - prolly will read 10v or less if it's bad tho.

go buy a multi meter if you do not have one. :!: :idea:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Blaque_Out said:
If you can get the car to an automotive shop, they should be able to check the alternator and the battery.
Even a chain auto parts store can do this - Pep Boys, Advanced Auto, Parts America, Autozone, etc etc. It's usually free. I'd strongly reccomend doing this before spending any money on anything, if you don't have a multimeter.

If you do have a meter, check the battery when fully charged and car off - should be 12 - 12.5 volts. If it's lower than that, the problem is the battery.

Otherwise, start the car and check the voltage at the battery. Should be 13 - 14 volts. If it's fine, your problem is the battery.

Otherwise, If it's lower than that, check the voltage at the alternator. Should be close to 14. If it's lower than that, the problem is the alternator. If it's in that range, the problem is the battery/alternator cables.

As far as I know, Saab alternators have internal voltage regulators that aren't replaceable. Anyone else know otherwise?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts