Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1994 9000 I belive cde. It's 4 door with the 2.3 turbo and I think it is the t25. Not possitive. I read around on here but am clueless where to start. I was thinking I should just start getting things of a junked aero then some stiff from maptun. Any suggestions to start at?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
First off, welcome aboard! Where in Alaska are you? I have a friend going to school over there.

As for where to start, best bets are usually exhaust and intake modifications. To get the most from your turbo, a 3" exhaust downpipe into a 2.5" or 3" exhaust actually makes a significant difference. For the intake, you can drill holes in the plastic filter housing to allow more flow, remove the "snorkel," or replace the whole unit with a cone filter (what I did). With those two mods, you can get your ecu upgraded for some more power as well. When you're happy there, suspension is probably the next most sought-after modification. Hope that gets you started!

Edit: second what Saabkid said

·
Registered
669 Posts
Take Svenska94Aero's advice is the best advice that I could give you as it's all about opening the engine up to allow it to breathe that will get you better performance in both mileage and HP.

Other than that, I'd suggest checking the internal condition of the engine by draining the oil and, while the oil drain plug is out, use a length of wire (about 6-8 inches) to swab back and forth across the bottom of the oil pan, then carefully retrieve it from the drain hole so as not to contact with either side of the drain plug hole.

This is done to check to see if there is any potential concern for the existence of sludge (you can do a search for "sludge" and get several hits) and, if so, let you know that there are steps that need be taken to avoid potential catastrophic engine failure.

Let us know what you find.

And BTW, third what saabkid37 and Svenska94Aero said.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Is it a Manual or Auto? Manual and you can do quite a bit with it (500+bhp if you want:D)...Auto and your a bit more limited but can still make it a pretty quick car.

There's no harm in taking a look at the Maptun website at their various tuning packages then have a think what stage and power level you'd like. Then do a bit of e-baying and searching in the classifieds for some bargains that match what Maptun list... This is what I did ;) Loads of 2nd hand and good quality parts around so I'd probably not spend mega bucks just yet.
Definitely get a stage 1 remap with one of the guys who can do it with T5 suite though, that'll give you a little taster and maybe want a bit more! The Maptun maps are $$$ but they're also very good. Mine was a Maptun stage 3 when I bought it and was pretty quick. But stage 1-3 I'd probably stick with T5 suite and then maybe get a pro tune if your feeling flush. Mines been T5 suite from stage 4 onwards with no problems at all! I think you'd be pretty happy with a re-map!
3" DP I'd also look at getting but they're not cheap...but a good investment for further mods.
Air filter...for the price & sound I'd go for a foam ITG filter or as said you could do the drilled box mod which will cost nothing!
You mentioned looking for a broken Aero...try to find a manual and not an auto as the manual comes with the TD04 instead of the T25. Also the Aero seats... if you haven't seen/sat in them, are just amazing! Best seats ever IMHO :cool:
A cheap mod for the handling is doubling up the rear ARB with one off a broken 9000. Basically the same as Abbott Racing piggy back arb...it does the job just fine!
Chances are the suspension is still the original so swapping the dampers for some Bilstein B4's (cheap) and a decent set of lowering springs will make a huge difference to the ride...these with the piggy back arb should be pretty noticeable!
Brakes I'm not sure of in the US but back here a cheap and decent option seems to be Brembo plain discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads. I had standard brakes on the stage 3 which were fine but stage 4 and above....they're useless....

You can get these cars to a respectable 300bhp with not too much outlay. Above this and it gets expensive and can be a headache...so just be prepared for the odd gearbox going bang the further north you go!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re

Hey. Yea mine is an auto right now but am planning on looking for the manual aero. I am thinkin that the stage three would be good for me. As for the engine condition, it is in very good shape. Always been worked on by a Saab dealer and great maintenance record. Only one owner before me and the car was givento me for free. Hard work shows up here. All the piping and everything was were I was going for first, but with wanting the td04 and manual from the aero would rather do it all at once. Plus I need to fix my heater it's dang cold out with no heater. Btw I am in wasilla, alaska. Also I have no idea where to search for parts. And I ordered a set of konis with lowering springs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Parts- I'd keep a look out on ebay mate. Back here in the UK there's always something coming up for sale! Just need to be lucky and at the right place at the right time. You're a bit lucky being in the US though (well a lot lucky!) you've got a couple of decent firms over there like SAS and Genuine Saab:
Saab performance parts auto car accessories replacement 900 9000 99 9-3 9-5 volvo
Taliaferro Imports, Inc.

There's a couple of UK firms that will probably ship to the US:
Abbott Racing - Saab Tuning and Performance, Saab Servicing, MOT's, Saab Parts, Saab Body Repairs
Saab Parts, Accessories & Saab Performance Tuning, Worldwide Shipping. -
Saab Parts, Saab Spares and Accessories: online ordering, mail order parts, UK based site - PartsforSaabs

A couple more I've got on my pc but cant find!

HTH

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I know there are a few people on here that will do a T5Suite tune for cheap to nothing.

Edit: If you're gonna make the car faster, upgrade the brakes to better pads and new rotors, and flush the system with new fluid before you realize that you can't stop that new power.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Don't know if it needs a thread but the question is. Is a apc box that's homemade by a pro different than cranking up the apc yourself. And is it a worthwhile mod.
900aero.com
goto the tech section and read up. It's all do it yourself, but there are some "bits" you should buy first if you want to do it right.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so i read through gutemans whole thread about the tdo4. kinda were imgiong to start, install the tdo4 and an intercooler, then all the piping and exhaust. will i need to have a manual to get everything the turbo has to offer. i mean i plan on putting the 5 speed in it. but its a bit harder to find stuff around here as we cant just roam the junkyards. we have to call like a parts store or something. kinda lame and they dont want to help. also what intercooler would be recommended. and anybody interested in doing the t5suite tune once i get everything???

·
Registered
645 Posts
pics of the cde or ban!!!

to my knowledge, they didnt make many cde 5speeds, so first off im gonna go out on a limb and say swap it.. then aero springs/ wheels and side skirts..
next 3 inch turbo back exhaust and td04 aero turbo,

the best thing about the 94 cde is that it is the only "classic" designed saab that has trionic 5.5, capitolize on that and promptly set up t5suite, then revel in the fact that you own one of the rarest saabs on the road!!!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
power is very addictive. when you do mods think long term. I started out with a 1996 cse that got the GS strut brace and then a lowering springs and bilsteins all around. I then upgraded to a td-04. Then I wanted much much more...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Confusion

I am not sure of it's a cde maybe cse has no badges other than turbo and Saab. It's the 4 door sedan. I will get pictures of it tomorrow. Was planning and getting everything, turbo, intercooler, 3 inch piping alround, t5 would like to do it myself if possible now that I read a little more, and the whole 5 speed swap, shocks and everything suspension wise. Just working on getting everything together so that I can start when summer hits. And start drivin my truck since I just got it done. Whiole parts list on the tranny swap would be great. And a good place to find all them.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
If it is a sedan--has a trunk rather than a hatch--then it would be a cde. Post some pics and we can help you start getting things figured out.

·
Registered
645 Posts
if it is a 94 cde it will look like this

in 93 the cSe was completely re-vamped. and from 93-98 looked like this

imo the 94 cde is the best 9k, classic style w/ new electronics!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts