Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 year old HP notebook with a HD that puked. I want to make a simple and easy bare bones notebook out of it. It had Vista on it and I'm not sure if I can re install it from the rescue discs. Besides, Vista sucks and it's overkill for what I'll use the notebook for. I'm trying ubuntu as an OS. It works surprisingly well off of CD. (I haven't purchased a new HD yet) All I want to do is use the HP for browsing the world wide interweb and maybe a little bit of simple photo editing so I can send or post pics from the road. Any of you Geek Squaders have a better alternative?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm trying ubuntu as an OS.
There's no alternative for Ubuntu. I'm running it on a virtual machine in my work laptop to browse whatever I want when I'm working (no trace!). It's stable as a rock, fast as a Saab and the support community is to be jealous of!

Stop trying it, start using it :)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found my rescue discs and had a 50 dollar credit at Best Buy. So I bought a new drive and I'm attempting to re install everything. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I found a website that had instructions and a program to shrink XP down to about 500-600 megs installed mainly for netbooks. Could go that route.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I succeeded in installing Vista. For the little I'll use it, I think I'll be fine. I may install ubuntu also. Just for fun.......

·
Registered
978 Posts
Glad you are up and running! I'd strongly recommend running Ubuntu as a dual boot just for shits and giggles.

Nah. For the OP's professed needs Ubuntu is a much better choice. I have a hackintosh and a Ubuntu machine. The hackintosh is cool, but I'd recommend Ubuntu over it. Ubuntu runs great on limited resources and there are some problems you can run into with a hackintosh like driver issues or when it comes time to upgrade. Ubuntu, and basically any other version of Linux I have tried, just works.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not so fast. There are many OS's that are just as good if not better than Ubuntu. Linux Mint is derived from Ubuntu, but more user friendly and feature rich. Parsix is also another good choice (Debian).
I couldn't agree more. Every passing day a great Distro comes out and beats the one before. However, for the average user support is always important. At this moment, Ubuntu has a larger support crowd than Apple... (I read it in a Times article, I'll try to find it)

PS: Let's start an O/S war thread!! It's been some time since I stopped ranting 'bout it and I miss it !! :):twisted:

I succeeded in installing Vista. For the little I'll use it, I think I'll be fine. I may install ubuntu also. Just for fun.......
You can always keep using the Live version :)

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
I intend to do that. When I took comp sci, we used ASCII tapes and punch cards. So, I may have some catching up to do.
The tech dept in a school I worked at, we used all the surplus punch cards as note cards.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After one of my many reboots after the install, I was prompted to update Windows. Several hours later Vista is still updating. I guess Bill Gates has been busy patching holes in Vista since my drive took a dump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts