Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am completely tired of dealing with my back which I have used for 30 ish years personally & at work we have been with them for almost 100 years.....

Do any of you use credit untions for banking?? I want to leave Chase but not sure if I should use another bank or go with a credit union???

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Credit Union all day. No contest. Minimal fees, no gouging, traditionally lower loan rates, and everything is done in the interest of the members.

I've been a member of mine since my very first savings account, so 2/3 of my life. I also worked at one for 3 years during/after college. I've had a couple bank bank accounts when I lived out of state and they were miserable institutions for the customers.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I also use a credit union, and I've been with them for over 30 years. In the last few years, they have become more bank-like. For example, they no longer send a representative out to our plant every Tuesday.

Still, the fees they charge are much lower, and they seem to be a bit more responsive when I need attention for some reason.

·
Registered
661 Posts
The credit union I'm with is very socially responsible. A significant chunk of the profits go back into the local community, and credit union members vote on where the spend should go. Plus they don't treat me like a number.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Only drawback about credit unions is their online banking falls short of what you can do with traditional bank like Chase. I've been with Chase for a long time and love the online banking ability they have. I've never been gouged or had to pay anything extra with them. Everything I do is online and I hate going into the branch. I also have a credit union account and have to actually go to the bank to conduct any transactions which makes it very difficult for me. I travel a lot too and having a credit union account would pose a lot of issues trying to withdraw money and paying ATM fees etc. The limited online capability just doesnt cut it for me. Agreed the loan rates are usually a little better but for what you get I dont know if it's worth it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Only drawback about credit unions is their online banking falls short of what you can do with traditional bank like Chase. I've been with Chase for a long time and love the online banking ability they have. I've never been gouged or had to pay anything extra with them. Everything I do is online and I hate going into the branch. I also have a credit union account and have to actually go to the bank to conduct any transactions which makes it very difficult for me. I travel a lot too and having a credit union account would pose a lot of issues trying to withdraw money and paying ATM fees etc. The limited online capability just doesnt cut it for me. Agreed the loan rates are usually a little better but for what you get I dont know if it's worth it.
Yeah, there are fewer branches, they're not omni-present like the big banks, so you can get hit with fees if you use a bank ATM. But up here you can use any CU ATM w/o being charged extra fees. Not sure if the CUs in your neck of the woods have a similar agreement, though.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
My CU online banking has every feature my other accounts have had. They have a phone center where you can talk to a human in under a minute. They have a dozen branches and numerous strategically located ATMs in my area.

Only thing I can't do with them is take a picture of my check and deposit via smartphone.

If you're worried about access, your best bet is a larger CU.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Seems like CU are more advanced in your area. The ones here are way behind the times when it comes to availability and ease of access to your account. Most only have 2 branches, maybe 4 and even though not controlled by the FDIC, a lot of the smaller banks in Michigan are all being shut down. Only ones left around here are the Chase / Bank of America type. Which leads me to my master plan to get the F out of MI once and for all and leave this disaster of a state in my rearview mirror.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I just opened a new account with a credit union last week. I plan to keep my Chase account open but I'm tired of supporting the banksters, especially considering they wouldn't be in business save intervention of their buddies from the state.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts