Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2000 Viggen. When I first got it the cel came on after 2 days of owning the car. Then i cleared it. Stayed off for 2 days. Came back on, then went away 2 or 3 days later on its own. Now its been on for the past week steady. I got the feeling the previous owner drove it a bit more passively than I currently do. Or Could have sold it due to this problem.
The car drives great. Pulls hard to redline. I have read that it could be a MAF sensor? Is it possible that it could just be a simple spark plug? I dont think he has changed the spark plugs since he got it (over 70k ago) But I dont feel any hesitation at all. Anyone have any other ideas or do I have to order a $300 MAF sensor as trial and error?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Sounds like an O2 sensor problem.

Do you remember the fault code exactly?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
You need to get that car in and looked at by someone who knows what to check, unless you have the actual fault codes (not from AutoZone) - if it's running lean because of a failing AMM and you keep flogging it you can crack a piston from detonation.

There is lots for you to read about potential issues with high mileage 9-3 Viggen / 9-5 engines.

Drew

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Havent checked out the vac lines yet. did a careful inspection of the top of the motor, and steam cleaned the engine bay to make sure there are no small leaks and dont see anything out of the ordinary yet. Ive heard of pcv issues or something like that. I am going to investigate the lean code more this weekend. Anyone around the CT area have a saab code puller or am I going to need to pay the dealer?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I stopped flogging it when I saw the code and got it pulled. I would however, like to start flogging it as soon as possible. Your help is greatly appreciated. I have done some searchs on issues with them. Thats why i mentioned the maf. If you know of a good resource with all of the information in one spot, Id love to take a look at it.

You need to get that car in and looked at by someone who knows what to check, unless you have the actual fault codes (not from AutoZone) - if it's running lean because of a failing AMM and you keep flogging it you can crack a piston from detonation.

There is lots for you to read about potential issues with high mileage 9-3 Viggen / 9-5 engines.

Drew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts