Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 99 9-5, balance shaft chain failed. I've got plugs for the shafts, just not sure what needs to stay or go from the rest of the system. The lower gear seems like it needs to stay for spacing, what do you do about the tensioner?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Nick sells a delete plate for the tensioner that blocks off the oil feed hole, it's cheap.

Did the chain take anything out with it when it broke? Or was it just slapping around really badly?

Drew

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I've got a 99 9-5, balance shaft chain failed. I've got plugs for the shafts, just not sure what needs to stay or go from the rest of the system. The lower gear seems like it needs to stay for spacing, what do you do about the tensioner?
As far as i know, you're supposed to leave the shafts in other wise you won't have any oil pressure and you can kiss your car goodbye. You're supposed to remove the chain and tensioner. After the tensioner is removed you need to get the tensioner delete kit from GS. Here is the link

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/...d=524&osCsid=5e0f6160a167e096d6a60c3dd437a322

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. Chain didn't break, tensioner failed and the chain wore thru the oil pick-up in the timing cover. Surprisingly, it appears that the engine is going to make it. Dropped the pan,wasn't too nasty in there. All the bearings look good, but they're getting replaced too

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
When you said you have plugs for the shafts, what is that? That's the second time I've heard of it, but I did not see it on gs website.

You would want to plug off the oil supply to the balance shaft somehow, or leave the shafts in place.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
When you said you have plugs for the shafts, what is that? That's the second time I've heard of it, but I did not see it on gs website.

You would want to plug off the oil supply to the balance shaft somehow, or leave the shafts in place.
IIRC, Nick from GS milled some aluminum shaft inserts to replace the heavier stock ones. I think the weight reduction was so minimal it made no difference in performance.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Just cut the chain out and leave it all the same. lol It works - indy shops have done that for years from what I'm told....

I keep seeing MoreBoost's signature and I'm looking for my gun from duck hunt to shoot that damn smiley face! It's laughing at me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts