Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on my car and when I put the front wheels on I noticed they have play from side to side, but not up and down. All of the ball joints and tie rods have no play. The play is 100% in the steering rack itself.

Is there a set amount of play or spec for this? I couldn't find any in WIS, but it just seems odd that it would be the rack that wore out and never a joint/linkage.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
granted my car has 245k on it but when I got it I had play in the steering from the inner tie rods

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have already ruled out any of the tie rod ends (both inner and outer). All of the suspension bushings are in great shape as well. I'm just finding it hard to believe that my steering rack would have so much play after only 141k.

Even with the key in, the whole wheel assembly can be jogged about 1/2" in either direction before the rack starts to move/give resistance.

I guess I'm going to have to take a day and replace my rack while freezing my ass off, lol. I may simply replace the innner/outer rod ends just to be sure before I go dropping the big bucks for a new rack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.