Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 9-3 base with 100,000 miles on it. 3 months ago, the day before leaving for a 3 month trip to europe for work, I got a call from my wife that her car was "making some funny noises" I ended up driving it home that night, only to find it losing power to the point where I couldnt make it up a small incline. At that point, I was within the 10 mi radius of the towing company and had it towed home and there it sat in the garage till last week. when I began tearing into it. This is what I did so far.

1. Replaced turbo. I am pretty sure there was no bearing left in it. Somehow the fins are completely intact. The hose to the intercooler was full of oil like a P-Trap on a house drain.

2. Replaced timing chain. Didnt look too bad, but indicator showed that it was at the stretched limit.

3. Dropped pan- it was pretty much clean in side. No real blockage to the oil screeen to speak of.

Oil pressure is still good, but when I go to start it, I can get it to maybe hold 400rpm and it rattles like a mofo. It cranks over fine with the fuel pump disconnected. Doesnt seem like there is any restriction.

Any thoughts? Here are my options

1. Intercooler is somehow blocked with oil- going to pull intake hose of TB and try to start.
2. Timnig chain roll in resulted in something to be off. I just assume I rolled it in properly, but maybe something slipped. (BTW that process was pretty easy. I made a makeshift tool to look like the servce tool using a piece of angle iron with a u notch cut out of the center to allow the chain to go through, one with a hole for a head bolt, and a clamp to hold them together. Definitely did not jump a tooth up top. Definetly need 2 people.)
3. Pull the spark plugs and look for peril.

What other things should I check? My wife misses her baby, and I am sick of hearing about it.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
74 Posts
If id have to guess its a rod bearing/bearings and when it heats up your internals get tight..... Could be a main too. Describe the knock

·
Registered
74 Posts
If your losing power to the point where it barely moves i can almost guarantee it has nothing to do with the balance shafts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts