Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a bit long, sorry.

I have been working towards getting out of my current job for a few months now. It is toxic, it's not even about having a tough skin, or just putting up with it, it is that bad. Since 50% of the people were let go 3-4 months ago it has become worse every day. Just last week I was being pressured to give the OK to ship a banned chemical in China. I stood my ground and tried to cover my own butt...it is another example of the terrible shit the company is doing when bleeding money.

So I like to have more than one back up plan.

My first plan, find a better, more secure job. I work at this everyday. I have been interviewing. I have had a few VERY close calls. I am literally on stand by for a great job, but I have nothing in writing.

So what if I can't line up a new job? I gave myself a deadline of the first of the year to make a change.

Come January if I do not have a new job I am going back to school...and hopefully getting myself fired or having the company officially go under. The VP is my referance and knows how bad the place is, knows I want to get fired. He will vouch for me and said I can burn the bridges of the idiots above me and has my back. I will not be putting my nuts on the Business Manager's desk each morning, but I will enjoy telling him what is and is not in my job description...what's the worst that can happen...I get fired...which is what I want.

My good friend(actually my brother's best freind) is rather sucessful and has owned his owned company since the age of 20. He does film production. One of the things he does a lot of animations and 3d for things like DVD special features. He has seen my work since I was about 5 years old. He is impressed with my 3d. For the past two years he has been saying, "If you learn Maya I will make you a rich man".

He even has a friend in NJ who teaches Maya. But I could not take classes out of state while working a 40 hour week.

My friend has much more work than he has the talent to do it. The money is insane, it comes out to $1000 for every second of animation, not to mention it is fun and fulfilling and I have always wanted to work with this person ever since I was young.

I have always been jealous of people who have a connection like that. This has always been my ONE amazing connection. My brother did good work with Brian including the famous Durashine commercial in the 90's where the guy got burned by the lazer lol. But my brother had too much pride to quit his dayjob and take permanent employment under his much younger best friend. I don't feel that way, what Brian is offering is a once in a lifetime.

This is a bit scary. The good news is I have the support of my wife and family. Maya is another 3d program, they are similar one to the next. So going from Rhino to Maya should not be too bad. I hope I can produce some decent work within 6 months of training.

I bought a couple of tutorial CD's and will take it as far as I can on my own. I will be staying with my folks in NJ a couple days of the week while I attend classes next year. I will likely be a bum and want to take the unemployment and send it to my wife so she is comfortable in our house in NY.

Not ideal. But talk is cheap. I have been talking about learning Maya for two years. I feel a bit of fire and hope inside now knowing I am taking action.

I still could get that call from Hasbro next week, or some other job any day now. But it is shitty out there. I can't sit and wait for the next 7 weeks and cross my fingers. Yay for having a back up plan.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'm going to DePaul's open house tomorrow night for the business school.

I have the time for an MBA so I figure why not.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to DePaul's open house tomorrow night for the business school.

I have the time for an MBA so I figure why not.
Very nice.

I very much want my Masters or even my clay certification. But I am almost 600 miles away from where those things are offered. Also, I have NO debt from my education and my masters would cost me $60k+.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cliff notes: Animated ketchup bottles?
Only for you :)

That would be my nightmare though. The good news is the money is about 20x more an hour than that ugly ketchup gig paid me.

With Maya, I could also do gigs doing video games developing/creating characters. That would be fun as well.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So is getting fired pretty much the only think holding you back? Just start showing up in sweatpants at 11:00.
No. I want to give myself the balance of the 7 weeks to get a job lined up. I have some things that have not panned out yet and my portfolio is still getting a lot of hits each month.

But in terms of when I start taking classes, yes, that is dependent on me getting fired.

I was told not to send an email where I was mentioning the "chemical issue"(the reason why I sent the email in first place was so that my name clearly stated I wanted no part in the matter) so that there was no email record of it.

So as part of wanting to get fired I am going to put in EVERY email, "Brian, where do we stand on the progress of shipping those banned chemicals" and wear a T-shirt with big red lettes that says WE SELL TOYS WITH BANNED CHEMICALS. That would be funny.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Very nice.

I very much want my Masters or even my clay certification. But I am almost 600 miles away from where those things are offered. Also, I have NO debt from my education and my masters would cost me $60k+.
I'm not worried about loans. I owe less than $10K now.

$60K is nominal in the scheme of things, especially if you're making $150K.......

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not worried about loans. I owe less than $10K now.

$60K is nominal in the scheme of things, especially if you're making $150K.......
This is true.

But I carry the debt of my wife now too, she got her masters. She has about 30k in student loans. Luckily she also brings in a decent salary to offset that.

My masters would only help me out in very small circles. Maybe only 5% of Industrial Designers have their masters. It is in no way an expectation.

If I can get good at 3d and become my friends personal 3d guy I could be "rich" as he says. Most people who make such a claim I look at suspect, but not him. Instead of driving Ferrari's and having mansions, he has always invested in his own business that is why he owns his buildings and millions in cameras and equipment.

So my masters is just a selfish want. Its hard to justify the $60k. But for others, like my Bro who was in business, his MBA was a big deal. He was very proud that he was able to do it after being out of school for over 10 years.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Again, it's not really hard to justify the cost, for me anyways. I'm willfully single, no kids, and no debt except for $500 on a cc and a mortgage, and a nominal amount of student loans.

I'm currently making a six-figure income, but I do realize that this will not last forever. Hence me wanting to start school sometime soon.

I figure with my resume (awesome, AAA+ BTW) and my experience (AAA+ BTW) I can land a job making over $100K. I'm in a director of finance/sales role now and would like to get out of sales in the next 5 years.

·
Banned
189 Posts
I don't know about you but I would not want to be fired. Prospective employers don't really look too highly on people who have been fired. Maybe those in your field don't care but a guy I know of was told a while ago if he got fired he could get extra unemployment and he hasn't been able to get a good job since specifically because he was fired from that job.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
I don't know about you but I would not want to be fired. Prospective employers don't really look too highly on people who have been fired. Maybe those in your field don't care but a guy I know of was told a while ago if he got fired he could get extra unemployment and he hasn't been able to get a good job since specifically because he was fired from that job.
I think you missed the part where he says the VP at his place is his job reference, and said VP knows that (a) the place is a POS and (b) Jameson wants to be fired.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you missed the part where he says the VP at his place is his job reference, and said VP knows that (a) the place is a POS and (b) Jameson wants to be fired.
Yes.

I am in a very specific field. My portfolio comes first, my resume a very distant second. Networking and relationships is even bigger than my resume.

How does someone know you were fired? My resume will say I worked here for two years. It is actually a state law that if someone contacts this company they cannot speak about my termination. So all that is left linking me to this company is the VP who I reported to that is on my resume as a glowing reference. There are only two people above me, I report to one and the other is the President/CEO(I find it unlikely that he would bad mouth me let alone have HIM be the person contacted in regard to my future employment). Evereyone else below me is a fan of me as a person and a co-worker and not only say I should be running the place but also support me moving on...they just want me to take them with me lol

I made sure the VP was on my side and all set to be my reference(he already has been). That is what matters.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Again, it's not really hard to justify the cost, for me anyways. I'm willfully single, no kids, and no debt except for $500 on a cc and a mortgage, and a nominal amount of student loans.

I'm currently making a six-figure income, but I do realize that this will not last forever. Hence me wanting to start school sometime soon.

I figure with my resume (awesome, AAA+ BTW) and my experience (AAA+ BTW) I can land a job making over $100K. I'm in a director of finance/sales role now and would like to get out of sales in the next 5 years.
I am in a very odd field. You are not really rewarded for your education. A couple of schools have clout and get your foot in the door the first couple of years. I already have that.

But the scary thing there are no ceilings, nothing holding you back. There is no correlation as a designer saying that if I reach xxx level of education than I can recieve x amount of compensation. As long as I have the basics from my BA I meet the minimum. So literally if I was an average designer I could be stuck under $100k for the next 10 years, or I could become one of these designers like Dyson(household name at this point) and be downright wealthy.

That is the exciting aspect. The downside, is it is very much like being an actor. You go on countless auditions and are judged based on talent...it is very personal. You get a lot of 'no's' even if you are qualified and do great work. I have an email trail of all companies I have been in talks with over the past 6 years. You would not beleive it. If you name a major company from HP-Dell-Ford-GM-Apple and back, I have been in talks with and ultimately turned down by them lol.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
It is actually a state law that if someone contacts this company they cannot speak about my termination.
Not sure about where you are, but they are allowed to answer "Is so and so elligible for re-employment?" which is pretty much the same thing in Maryland.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure about where you are, but they are allowed to answer "Is so and so elligible for re-employment?" which is pretty much the same thing in Maryland.
My wife is the expert on this and is an employment/rehab counselor for those with special needs. She told me a long time ago about what your past employer can and cannot legally say. Her brother was fired from his bank job and was worried about what prospective employers would or would not be told.

In my field, this is not a worry. All I need is my reference(I actually have other co-workers from here as references too). This place also has a bad reputation from within the industry that people know how crappy we are these days or we are so small the biggie's like Hasbro often have never heard of us. So these is no worry that the President will be running in the same circles as people from Hasbro where my name will come up. I also am quite good at my job, so I doubt much shit would ever be said about me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts