Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hmmmm,

Maybe my imagination, but wondered if anyone else experiences an occassional back-fire out of the exhaust pipe.

Replaced my plugs NGK's -11, set at 1.1mil, DI Cassette, vacuum lines(slightly larger on the bypass).

Using a Hyperboost bypass valve, and the stock t25 until I get a chance to upgrade to the viggen turbo I have, I want to make sure the issues go away first. Running a stage 3 kit now, bigger IC, dp, and race cat. I only use Shell Gas 93 or highest octane I can find.

DC

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Depending on if your back fire is loud or not..I would check your exhaust system for leaks. A hole in the exhaust can cause the car to sound louder, and sometime have a small backfire.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brand new....stainless steel exhaust in place already...

Nick from Tali.....(I could never spell his last name) says it's normal on modified t-5's.

I couldn't find anything else to adjust or replace...

Guess I just didn't notice it before... It only happens once and a while when I'm blowing the competion away, and then I have to slow down.

thanks anyway.

Haven't heard from your POC on the seats....do you have a number?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
DC_SAAB said:
Maybe my imagination, but wondered if anyone else experiences an occassional back-fire out of the exhaust pipe.
LMAO - "occassional"

Mine back-fires as a normal thing - sounds like ralley exhaust - but it's brand new stock. lol Ask anyone from the Saabtoberfest - unless you were near Bens car, you'd hear my pops almost every 30 seconds as I downshifted or was coasting down from higher rpms. I kinda like it, no wait - I love it! No idea why it happens tho... but w/e sounds hot ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
'Backfire sounds' are a normal occurance when engine braking with a sport exhaust installed. If you are hearing backfires when accelerating, then you may have a problem with your car.

PS. With high boost cars, its also normal to see sparks out the exhaust with fast acceleration.

·
Registered
127 Posts
slaab said:
'Backfire sounds' are a normal occurance when engine braking with a sport exhaust installed. If you are hearing backfires when accelerating, then you may have a problem with your car.

PS. With high boost cars, its also normal to see sparks out the exhaust with fast acceleration.
I'm getting the "backfires" under acceleration/load - any ideas? I'm thinking that the DI isn't firing (I'm getting hesitation and bucking, too) all the time and causing un-burnt fuel to detonate in the exhaust, but not sure.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guess I'm glad mine only does that on deacceleration...., where I don't need the power.

Acceleration backfires on exhaust....got to be DI or plug related on a DI car. Pull the plugs and look at the color to see how she's burning. Normally a good indication are a tan, but clean looking tips.

I have a CEL light now, guess cause its running rich, and with my oxygen sensor mounted close to the wastegate off the dp; might be related. The temperature change in weather makes me wonder too. Guess its time to hit the highway for a long drive...., I got to clean those sensors somehow.

good luck

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pull the fuel pump fuse, and remove the DI cassette off the plugs.....turn the DI over, have an assistant stand away from the car to observe the cassette; turnover the engine and have the assistant look to see if you have spark out of the DI cassette.

You can see which port is firing out of the DI.... I wouldn't suggest this at extended periods..., but you can determine if its bad by noting if all 4 ports are sparking.

good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts