Saab Link Forums banner

Baad Noise on Start-up; Video

7K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Cm452 
maybe the chain is too tight?

How about a stethoscope? So you can pinpoint the spot the noise is coming from. I just want to eliminate timing chain from exhaust leak. Is the chain rubbing against the cover on the inside? So when you had it at the shop your mechanic opened all this up and checked it out correct?

It also sounds like it could be a loose exhaust gasket of some type that is resonating. I think the irregularity of the sounds could be exhaust related.

Another thing. Did you say this noise is on startup of a cold engine? Is it there all the time or does this noise go away after the car warms up. If it goes away after the car warms up, then i'd go the route of an exhaust gasket. As the engine heats up the metal expands just enough to pinch the gasket closed and stop the resonation of the gasket from the exhaust pressures. If this is true, then your problem is not damaging anything. So, do you replace the gasket to get rid of the noise.

Beyond the noise, it sounds like the engine is running well at idle.
I also say exhaust gasket for the same reasons. Could be the bolts just need to be retorqued.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.