Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nasty rattle/knocking sound coming out of my 2000 9-3 convertible (base). I dropped the pan, and replaced the timing chain last week. Pan was clean, and timing chain was stretched, but intact. I am going to do some more reconnaisance today, but in the event that i need a new engine, how hard is it to swap in a 2.3l if I can find a used one? What do I need? My goal would be to score the turbo on it as well.

Thanks for all the good posts I have read. I would have probably burned the car last week otherwise.

·
Registered
671 Posts
simple as a jump

you need a B235 crankshaft and the conn rods.
I am pretty positive the pistons match ;)

BUT:
- if you can drop a B2x4 block and the B235 crankshaft and conn rods, it would be better;
- forged pistons might be good for future upgrades;
- TD04-HL19 with 6cm^2 exhaust housing might be good ;)

Check if there is a replacement balance chain kit available at discount and get a new one...also, a new oil pump would be good ;)

keep us updated with your project progress!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've done it. Depending on what year 9-5 the B235 is coming out of and what year 9-3 it's going into there are some quirks. I also did the swap with two auto transmissioned cars and for the most part it was a breeze. The only problem we ran into was with the flexplate for the trans. If you're serious about doing the swap give some more information and I'll give you the run down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts