Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is a 1994 9k CDE. it is green with tan leather Automagic. Supposedly the only thing wrong is the Aux Fan. How much is it to fix and or how much of a pita is it to diy? Please let me know ASAP as a friends GF may be buying one with this problem tomorrow.

Also is the car worth it?

180k on the body.
100k on the engine which was replaced for reasons unknown but runs perfectly
new tires this past spring. along with new brake pads.
Green Exterior
Tan Leather Interior
car looks to be immaculate minus the problem mentioned above.

$1100

Should she get it?

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes but it is a DIY job, easier then transmission or engine work.

Thats a fair price for it, does it need any state inspections or emissions on your state?
inspection:
yes

emissions:
no as it is a1994 and 95 is the cut off for emissions.

so it is a pita to get to but simple enough to do?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I did the 95 CSE, while a PITA, it was all accessible from the top. Get the fan motor and use the existing plastic part, I did the plastic HC, others recommend the metal one. Also good chance to replace hoses, especially heater and radiator hoses.

The key was once you get close, a strong pull gets the housing out and a good push gets it back in, its hard to describe, but the housing is flexible and doesn't need babying. Note there is a flip arm that is fragile.

so it is a pita to get to but simple enough to do?

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the 95 CSE, while a PITA, it was all accessible from the top. Get the fan motor and use the existing plastic part, I did the plastic HC, others recommend the metal one. Also good chance to replace hoses, especially heater and radiator hoses.
not my car so i don't care too much just figuring out if i really want to do it or have someone else. either way sounds relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Its a reasonable DIY as far as cost. Might want to get a few shop estimates, since the book indicates a fair number of labor hours.

not my car so i don't care too much just figuring out if i really want to do it or have someone else. either way sounds relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah so she bought the car. even has the stock deck in it and the lady tossed in a new pioneer.

it does have another issue and that is the drivers window being off-track. easy fix? i would assume so.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
The 9k's had the cable window regulators IIRC, which are less servicable than the common broken plastic rollers in the NG/9-3 etc...if thats the issue there about 150 bucks to replace. Pretty simple either way.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
If the fan and the regulator need to be replaced it will cost more than 300 dollars in parts from the dealership, let alone labor...eeuro prices those two parts out at 150 for the regulator and 200 for the aux fan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts