Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
replaced motor, put my trans with 96k on it, now it's slipping going into 4th. had changed fluid and filter on it just before the motor died. Any suggestions that it might be? It didn't slip before the motor started the knocking... Anything at all would help. Thx

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Check that the kick-down wire is adjusted correctly?

Your '97 is non-TCS, right?

When you open the throttle butterfly all the way, at about 90% open you should feel extra resistance and then the *click* sort of feeling of the kick-down wire engage the kick-down solenoid.

With the throttle butterfly fully closed there should be no slack in the kick-down wire.

Drew

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Check that the kick-down wire is adjusted correctly?

Your '97 is non-TCS, right?

When you open the throttle butterfly all the way, at about 90% open you should feel extra resistance and then the *click* sort of feeling of the kick-down wire engage the kick-down solenoid.

With the throttle butterfly fully closed there should be no slack in the kick-down wire.

Drew
96-onward = NO TCS. **applauds Saab engineers**

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank god for no tcs! Lol
I have kick down but 3rd to 4th just slips with normal driving. I chkd the fluid and it's really full ( thx to the chrysler mexhanic friend who over filled it). Drained a bunch out and put in some Lucas tranny oil. First couple turns around the block and it's shifting now. Gonna drive it alot tomorrow and see if it holds.
On another note, while I was doing the tranny deal, I swapped out my idle air control and seem to have fixed my cel and idle issue. :)

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Get the Lucas out and fill it to the right level - over filled lets the fluid reserve get whipped up by the spinny-bits, and then the pump starts sucking up the latte of foam, rather than fluid, which doesn't transfer pressure correctly, and doesn't lubricate.

Glad that's all it was. Those ZF trannies can be finicky.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Bump, how would the kickdown make it feel like it's slipping?
When I'm in fourth and put the pedal down it drops to third just like it used to. I did measure the 2.5 mm from ring to sheath at no throttle...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The kickdown wire is part of the hydraulic circuit that controls the transmission.

The ZF trans is purely hydraulically controlled, and the throttle wire / KDW is how it knows if you're accelerating or holding a steady speed. When you accelerate the KDW increases the control ('throttle') pressure in the trans and holds the gear, and clamps the clutches together tighter.

If it's out of adjustment and you're actually accelerating harder than the trans things you are it can slip.

If it's adjusted right and still slips it's probably internal.

Drew

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just adjusted the outer down, went for a drive and it shifted really hard. So I made a happy medium between and a quick drive to the store and it's shifting fine for the moment. :)
Thx for the help Drew, Really appreciate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts