Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it even possible to convert my automatic to a manual? If so what type of problems woul you suspect me of facing? I really wanna drop some dough into the car and I think this would take a big chunk of it, but I want manual.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not worth it, your better off buying a new 9-5 thats a 5 speed.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay so if I buy the 5 speed... can I upgrade it to six? I have no car knowledge so this could be fun.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Do they even make a Saab 9-3 or a 9-5 with a six speed? You could probably do it on a 9-2x if it doesn't come stock, because they use the same stuff as WRXs. So you could get the STI 6 speed, or you could get one of the sequential 6 speeds from japan if you want to spend around 14-15k just on the tranny. Otherwise, good luck on a five speed conversion, the labor cost alone would be insane. Saabkid and jedimaster are right, you would be better off with a different car...

·
Registered
352 Posts
yes, 6 speed 9-3's existed, in the 9-3ss, i think it was MY 2003 they had a 6 speed but that was discontinued to due problems with the tranny

besides, why do you need a 6 speed....only if you're laying down a crapload of power would you need one, otherwise, that means you have to shift earlier since gearing will be different....good luck with the swap or getting a manual car

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes I would plan on laying down a crapload of power. And a 6 speed is so much fun to drive and shift in. Plus a manual allows me to get my turbo going instead if holding the brake and giving it gas like I do sometimes (which is bad for all of you who want to try... it makes your wheels sqeak for a while and if you rev it high enough can really destroy your tranny and axel). I have also wanted a six speed and I just want my saab to be amazing and different from every other 9-5

·
Registered
352 Posts
well if you're laying down a crapload of power then go for it.....the faster the better :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
248 Posts
RIIIIIIGHT

Dude, why don't you get a 12 speed with F1 paddles if you love shifting so much, or buy a freakin' bike and get your shifting jollies while ya exercise, lol...j/k. Manual switch is mucho dineiro, and if you wanna have fun trade in your 9-5 for a used Viggen and go balls out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was told you cant build boost on a car without a rev limiter., as boost isnt made unless there is a load on the car. I am new to the 9-5 so i dont know if it has a rev limiter, yes there was a 9-3 that had a 6 speed it was the 9-3 vector it was made the year after the viggen was ended. And no you cant get a 5 tranny and modify to be a 6 speed... i agree and say you should just go out and buy a car with a 5 speed.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
hey im from ct too... its not true u need a rev limiter, to have a load. the car has load on it when there is resistance put on the drive axles.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
just get a manual it is waaaaay easier. and will probably be waaaay less $$$ and then you have leftover cash for stage 5.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ricot83 said:
hey im from ct too... its not true u need a rev limiter, to have a load. the car has load on it when there is resistance put on the drive axles.
You need a rev limiter in order to be able to make boost with a manual transmission while sitting at the line. There is no load on the engine/axels when the car is sitting on the line, the rev limitter allows for you to make boost while standing still.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Osiris said:
holding the brake and giving it gas like I do sometimes (which is bad for all of you who want to try... it makes your wheels sqeak for a while and if you rev it high enough can really destroy your tranny and axel).
And you do this from a standing position or whilst the car is moving? For a chap who likes his high revs perhaps you should go for a Ricer car and not a Saab! :?

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
the420star said:
ricot83 said:
You need a rev limiter in order to be able to make boost with a manual transmission while sitting at the line. There is no load on the engine/axels when the car is sitting on the line, the rev limitter allows for you to make boost while standing still.
Last I check a rev limited stopped your engine from revving. So you're saying you have a rev limited to build boost while you're sitting still? So you have your engine at 6500 rpms whenever you're sitting still??

When in neutral or in gear with the clutch in, I cannot get more than 3psi of boost no matter how I rev the engine. So what are you talking about?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
9-5 Troller said:
Osiris said:
holding the brake and giving it gas like I do sometimes (which is bad for all of you who want to try... it makes your wheels sqeak for a while and if you rev it high enough can really destroy your tranny and axel).
And you do this from a standing position or whilst the car is moving? For a chap who likes his high revs perhaps you should go for a Ricer car and not a Saab! :?
You have come into the game a year late (look at the post date) my friend. Everyone else on here as already warped me into a true Saaber and bestowed upon me their great knowledge. I didn't know jack about car till I got on this site. As for the power starts I don't do that anymore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Man this thread is so funny. Stromer is so correct. How can a rev limiter help build boost. All it does is stop you over reving your engine and popping your pistons...

the420star Posted:
You dont get boost sitting on the line, doesnt anyone have a boost gauge?? Infact you are at negative pressure when the car is stationary. As Ricot says once the car is under load boost will start at about 3000rpm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts