Saab Link Forums banner

Auto Dimming mirror install

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jeremy R. 
#1 ·
I'm sorry but the old fashion mirror I have needs to be updated. My question to fellas is where would it be the most wisest to hook up a 3-wire auto dimming mirror in my 9-3 vert. I was thinking about tapping in the visor lights. Has anyone did this mod?

#2 ·
I have run a switched power wire from the fuse box, Up the a pillar than across the header to the mirror. This was a Nice professional way to install.

I have also cheated and just pulled power from the light but the mirror will not shut off for 20 minutes until DICE shuts the power off to the dash electronics. Its your car. You decide.

#3 ·
I ran three wires up the A-pillar when I installed the same type of mirror. For ignition-switched power I tapped into the cigarette lighter power wire in the fuse box. For the ground, I attached a wire with a loop lug crimped on the end to one of the grounding posts down by the fuse box. The third wire is a 12V signal that shuts off the auto-dimming function when the car is in reverse. When I hooked mine up originally, I had read that it was for constant 12V, and it never dimmed. It took me a long time to figure out what I had done wrong! The 12V signal for the backup lights is a white wire, and it runs underneath the driver's door sill. Tap into that if you want to hook up the reverse wire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.