Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting at the lights on a dual carriageway out of town when a new Audi A6 pulled up next to me fast and started revving. OK, I thought, let's see what happens. On green he floored it and his wheels spun - I was in 1st to pull away and did a quick change to 2nd at 4000 rpm, redlined it in 2nd and was half a length ahead, perfect change into 3rd and up to redline, immediately going 2 lengths ahead. Into 4th and it was spooled up already at 2400 rpm, he went 4 lengths behind. What was interesting about this one was that, unlike other times, we both stopped trying at 100mph, and backed off - just as well, since there was a tractor round the next bend. For the record mine is slightly tweaked. :wink:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Which engine did the A6 have? They're heavy pigs compared to any Saab.

And which wheels spun? I don't think the more powerful engines are available w/o quattro, and it's very, very difficult to do much more than chirp the tires on a quattro car unless it's pushing mega power.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not too sure which of his wheels spun, as I heard it over the sound of the two engines - it was more of a chirp, but was long enough to give me the advantage pulling away. I don't know that much about their engine types. He did pretty well - better than many of the BMW's I've taken out. To be honest I normally avoid high revs in low gears so I don't often take people out from a standing start...but he started it :D He's probably gone off to buy a new car now, having been humiliated by a 13 year old Saab.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Jezza said:
I don't know that much about their engine types.
In the US, they are available with naturally aspirated V6's (around 200 hp, depending on the year), the twin turbo 2.7 litre V6 (250hp and mounds of torque), or the V8 (300 hp).

In Europe, I'm pretty sure there are a few other engine options. There's a wicked diesel on the new A6 in the UK, a turbo v6 that makes 225hp and 450 lb-ft of torque. I don't think that particular engine is available on the current model though.

At any rate, they're pretty heavy! If he had the N/A V6 I'm not suprised at all that you beat him.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like it must have been the N/A, given by how much I pulled away from him. I just tested the boost on mine this weekend and it peaked at 23 psi but falls to 15 pretty quickly, and I also have type 6 primaries, so low gear ratios. What is so funny is that if he has the N/A then what possessed him to try and take me out. I just saw they do 28 different versions here, including a 1.8 turbo and a 4.2 litre V8 - might be a bit more challenging :wink:

·
Registered
584 Posts
The 4.2 V8 is a monster of a motor, but still not stupidly fast in the A6 chassis. It's only marginally faster than the twin turbo 2.7 litre v6, which is probably just as under-rated as Saab B235R engines seem to be.

To get a really fast (modern) Audi, you've either got to have something with the letters 'RS' in it's name, or you've got to start with one of the smaller, lighter weight bodies (A3, A4, TT etc).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts